"Add-on" digital module for transceivers?

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK4WDM

"Add-on" digital module for transceivers?

Post by VK4WDM »

As you would have noticed in another of my threads, I am buying an FT817ND for a portable station. It would be nice be able to run at least PSK, and possibly RTTY, using a module that can be connected to the tranceiver and removes the need to carry around a separate interface and laptop.

Do such devices exist?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Re: "Add-on" digital module for transceivers?

Post by VK3XL »

Wayne a couple of my friends have these http://www.nue-psk.com/ Although they are not regular PSK ops they do seem to work quite well.

73 Mike
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Mike

Wow, that is exactly the sort of gear I had in mind. Costs about $270 built, but considering that I have to buy another interface and probably have to replace my old laptop, it is certainly an attractive option.

Anybody out there like to comment on this?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Wayne, bear in mind you can obtain a netbook PC which won't be too much bigger than this device (plus the keyboard it requires), for less money. And then you could install all sorts of software for all sort of modes, logging, propagation etc.

You would of course still need some sort of soundcard interface, but something like Matt DAG's solution would be very neat.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

Netbook PCs are falling in price now, with tablet PCs now more popular, so you can get some pretty good deals. E.g., I bought a Samsung NetBook for $288, and have it configured for my DXpedition/Field Day operations. The keyboard is small but adequate, but I think an external mouse is essential.
A soundcard interface is not complex, and needn't be large or expensive, as mentioned above.
I couldn't imagine using a "smart" phone for digital modes. Smaller is not necessarily better IMO. But the Netbook PC will be not much bigger than the essential keyboard. Unless you become one of those "macro maniacs" one sees working the PSK. No typing involved there at all. Not much effort at all...
I've ordered a replacement battery for my Nokia 5070 GSM phone. Should see it working for another several years yet. By that time, reliable 3G service may be available at home.
Luke VK3HJ
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Re notebooks. One of the local stores has a "notebook special" running so I will go and have a look.

The interface is not really a problem. I already have two - a Rigblaster which is used with the FT847 and a new Tigertronics which I got to use with the IC756 PRO111. I don't really need two digi-capable rigs in the shack and the Tigertronics could be used in the portable setup.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Wayne, just a quick point of terminology - a notebook is generally a laptop with a 13"+ screen, and a netbook is anything with a 7" upwards screen.

My Netbook has a 10" screen, which is just nice for carrying around, and has a keyboard big enough to suit my fingers.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH