ANTARCTICA on 50 MHZ How about it?

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

ANTARCTICA on 50 MHZ How about it?

Post by VK3ZAZ »

6M The Magic Band de VK3OT/VK3ZAZ

The Continent of Antarctica remains out of reach for most operators, why?

VK3OT VK3LK and VK5NC bridged the gap in 1993

Several VK1,2,3,5 stations worked VK0IX in 1995.

PY5CC made the first from South America to LU1 Patagonia in 1998.

CT1EEB was the last recorded QSO.

Antarctica-Europe First Radio Communication on 50 MHz by CT1EEB and EM1U First Day Cover

Antarctica-Australia World First Radio Communications on 50 MHz by VK5AVQ/VK0AQ and VK3OT December 1993

Australia Antarctica second only summer opening in December 1995 by VK0IX

Tread your own path :om:
VK4WDM

Re: ANTARCTICA on 50 MHZ How about it?

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Steve

I think the answer is the same as why we don't work a lot of places on 6m. Even if the path is open you still need well equipped and skilled ops at each end!

My impression is that there far fewer hams going to ANARE bases now than there were in times passed. Up until the late 1980's all base ops had to have CW at 15 wpm error free, and a lot of them were hams. Ham radio also played an important role in earlier years as a back up to the main base communication. This was evidenced by the shacks, equipment, and antennas at the bases. When I went to Macquarie in 1990 the shack was on top of a hill with long wire vee beams in every direction, and a five el 6m beam (unfortunately not ideally sited for VK). I have heard that all that has gone now :cry:

Around that time there were some claims that some base ops were spending too much time playing with ham radio and neglecting other duties, putting AR "on the nose" with some station leaders.

Another factor is that even if there is a ham on the base, their time to operate may be very limited. Like every other organization today, ANARE is probably putting more and more work on to fewer and fewer people.

There is of course another important factor: not all hams have the skill and patience to be a successful 6m operator, and some are simply not interested in the band - each to his own!

I am confident, that if during the coming SSycle peak, we have suitably skilled, well equipped, well motivated hams who have enough operating time available in Antarctica, contacts will be made again. :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

A lot of these remote locations can have very low noise floors, and a nearby on-base ham station will no doubt affect any other radio gear that is used in the course of normal business.

That was the excuse the most recent V73 op used whilst he was there anyway.
Funny how Tim was active last cycle peak though. :?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Adam

There is a heck of a lot of high power RF being blown around these stations for normal comms, ionospheric experiments etc and I don't think a 100w of ham RF would make a lot of difference. :D

Another factor might be the shocking lack of good manners and operating practice during the inevitable pileups on HF - it certainly does not make you want to rush over to the shack after work and hand out numbers.

My operating of VK0WD was soured by clowns who pirated my call and I was inundated by QSL requests for QSO's that I did not have. I then became the target of abuse when I failed to verify these spurious contacts. :x

Having said all that, if we hear of any hams heading down to the icy continent, we should encourage them to become interested in 6m, including lending them some gear if they don't have any of their own.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

PIC is worth a thousand excuses

Post by VK3ZAZ »

IMPRESSIVE to say the least.
Pacific Dx
JAs'
USA
EUROPE

All pales when someone does this.
It doesnt get any bettér than this.