FM simplex freq used by SSB DX-ers

FM, Analogue, DSTAR, C4FM, etc Repeater discussion
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

FM simplex freq used by SSB DX-ers

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi,
the thought had occured to me that there are probably a host of different 2mx FM simplex frequencies used by VHF / UHF/ SHF operators that are used for local liason. In the Barossa its grown to be XXX.YYY, which the locals use for chatting as well and some of us have pirated to be SSB Dx liason.

I thought it might be interesting for us to share a frequency for FM chat, then when the band start to opens our mutes may open with distant signals from other like minded people.

Any thoughts positive or negative? I know some groups have a mortgage on particular frequencies but I am willing to move to a shared freq in the interest of liason and tripping over the odd suprise opening :-)
Last edited by VK5PJ on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Re: FM simplex freq used by SSB DX-ers

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi

We tend to use 146.500 or 146.525 when liaising microwave contacts. However, if these are busy (e.g. during contests) we use 147.500 instead.
Are we concerned about following the band plan? 145.150 is in the 'Digital and Packet Radio' section.

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Similar issue was raised 21 months ago.
Apathy and lack of interest prevail.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

VK5PJ wrote:Hi,
the thought had occured to me that there are probably a host of different 2mx FM simplex frequencies used by VHF / UHF/ SHF operators that are used for local liason. In the Barossa its grown to be 145.150, which the locals use for chatting as well and some of us have pirated to be SSB Dx liason.
Hi Peter

I thought we used 145.1, no wonder I'm not hearing anything :wink:

Brian
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Brian,
VK5BC wrote:
VK5PJ wrote:Hi,
the thought had occured to me that there are probably a host of different 2mx FM simplex frequencies used by VHF / UHF/ SHF operators that are used for local liason. In the Barossa its grown to be XXX.Y, which the locals use for chatting as well and some of us have pirated to be SSB Dx liason.
Hi Peter
I thought we used XXX.Y no wonder I'm not hearing anything :wink:
Brian
my error, yes its XXX.Y, I have edited my original post.

Maybe its time I clarified what my intentions are as from the replies it seems my orignal post did not make its best case.

While both in VK8 and now in VK5, I have listened on and chatted with other locals on a simplex freq for the liason about whats happening on the VHF and above bands, including whats being heard by others, "can you hear the VK7 beacon" and technical topics like "did you get that preamp working last night".

I am guessing others around VK have similar "closed nets" that have picked a frequency and chat to each other when in the shack about what is going on or maybe it does not happen in capital cities?

My thought was if there was for arguments sake a group of VHF ops in Ballarat or Melbourne that had a similar net, maybe we could use a common frequency and the chances of discovering unexpected opening would increase, along with a bit of fun in seeing what the others are up to in an informal manner.

Peter.