Homebrew 7el 2m Yagi

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2DDS

Homebrew 7el 2m Yagi

Post by VK2DDS »

G'day,

Recently I've designed & built a seven element 2m yagi and figured that someone might be interested in it. I've tried to include enough information here for someone else to build their own and/or improve on the design. The design goals were:

-Optimised for max forward gain
-3m boom, as 3m lengths of aluminium are easy to buy (Bunnings et. al.) and transport
-50 ohm feedpoint
-Wide enough bandwidth to cover the whole band

The yagi was designed in the free antenna analysis software (http://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmana-gal.php). The programme has a built in optimisation routine, so the design was built by adding an element about 50cm off the end, optimising, adding another etc. This was repeated until the boom was 3m long.

The final simulation result predicts 12.2dBi forward gain (10.2dBd) in free space and an SWR of 1.01 at 146.5MHz
MMANA-GAL model
MMANA-GAL model
SWR is under 1.4 across the band.

The simulation model can be found here: http://www.fireflydesign.net.au/7el%202m%20yagi.maa

The boom chosen was a 19mm square aluminium extrusion, all elements were made from 10mm tube. Both of these were in stock at the local Bunnings. Elements are currently attached with a single M3 bolt with a small patch of pushbike tyre inner tube squashed between the element and boom. This keeps them in place well enough for testing, but in the long term I'm hoping to get a friend with a 3D printer to make up some plastic brackets which hold the elements in place and stop them rotating. As it stands the elements will rotate the second a small bird lands on them.

It is possible to mount the elements through the boom (in simulation it made no difference if they were insulated from the boom or not) but since the driven element must sit above the boom I figured mounting them on top would result in a better performing antenna (probably not measurably though). In simulation having the driven element 2cm above the plane of the other element makes little difference.

Coax connection was done via an N-type chassis socket (Jaycar PS-0674) mounted on a small piece of aluminum which is in turn riveted into a PVC insulator. The insulator is a ~25mm PVC pipe which has been cut in half lengthwise.
Feedpoint
Feedpoint
To compensate for the feed connections the driven element is intentionally cut 2cm short and bolted on with a 2cm gap in the middle so as to keep the tips of the driven element in the correct position.

To remove the requirement of driven element boom isolation it is possible to re-optimise the antenna for forward gain in MMANA-GAL to reduc the feedpoint impedance and allow for a gamma match to be used. I found that this arrangement was simple enough to be built, but it's probably mostly up to personal preference and experience, along with what tools/materials are on hand.

Here's a snapshot showing the partially built antenna:
Antenna Size
Antenna Size
And it installed. It's bolted with a ~50mm U bolt to a length of 40mm PVC pipe. The pipe is coupled to a 6m aluminium mast mounted to a rotator. The main difficulty with vertical polarisation is the feedline routing. Simulation showed that If it's run along the boom and straight down the mast the feedpoint impedance and radiation pattern are *greatly* disturbed.

Click for full size

Lastly, this post wouldn't be complete without an on the air comparison. The remote station, VK2YCJ (Jamie), was about 50km away in his car, running about 70W into a magnetic mount antenna on the car roof. The comparison antenna is a homebrew vertical dipole mounted about 1m lower than the yagi on a different mast. The yagi is about 10m above ground, but close to a 2nd story steel roof. There is some QRM crackle over the Rx audio, not sure what it was but it went away a few minutes later.

The simulation model can be found here: http://www.fireflydesign.net.au/7el%202m%20yagi.maa

Hopefully someone can find this interesting and helpful.

Cheers,
Brenton
VK2GOM

Re: Homebrew 7el 2m Yagi

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Brenton, well done, and a well-documented build.

I was looking at your plots though, and was surprised the FB ratio was not so great. I'm sure the design could be run through an optimiser and achieve somewhere up near 20dB Front to back, which would be great for nulling out QRM.

Incidentally, my 7 ele has 21.3dB front to back ratio, with a forward gain of 12.8dBi.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2DDS

Post by VK2DDS »

Thanks for the data on your yagi Rob. FBr wasn't something I was too concerned with but it somebody does want a FBr optimised design they can use MMANA-GAL to make it. As a quick experiment I just asked MMANA-GAL to optimise for FBr at the cost of everything else, the result was 11.87dBi forward gain, a 2.3m boom, 23.28dB FBr and Zin of 10.66 ohms. There are such a large number of variables (spacing and element length for 7 elements yields 14 degrees of freedom! Yikes!) that optimisation is half luck, it seems. I don't know how well the optimiser is at finding a global maxima, but I'm happy to get within 1dB forward gain of another design.

I dare say you could spend days tweaking a design for that extra 0.5dB, which is why the simulation file is include :).

Cheers,
Brenton
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Good work Brenton. I presume you're wanting this antenna to cover the FM part of the band?

You might also want to have a look at the great work done by Justin, G0KSC, with the LFA design. These are extremely easy to build, especially the feedpoint which is so often the difficult part for homebrewers.

Here's his 7el on a 3m boom: http://g0ksc.co.uk/7el-144mhz-ln-lfa.html
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2DDS

Post by VK2DDS »

VK3DXE wrote:Good work Brenton. I presume you're wanting this antenna to cover the FM part of the band?
Hi Alan,

It was optimised for 146.5MHz, yes. One of the motivators was getting better coverage to a friend who goes mobile up the Hunter Valley a fair bit and this antenna allows simplex coverage over the bulk of a 50km radius. It does tune up nicely on 144.1MHz, better than at 146.5, and the simulation shows that the radiation pattern is not significantly different. I suspect that a physical optimisation for the FM portion would require slightly more than a 2cm gap in the driven element.

Cheers,
Brenton
VK1FMSY

Post by VK1FMSY »

I know it is late, but thanks as I will give it a shot!

Sean.