TX output has stopped on digital modes

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK4WDM

TX output has stopped on digital modes

Post by VK4WDM »

My setup is an FT847, and a Rigblaster interface connected to a laptop via serial to usb cable.

Working ok until today when I accidently deleted some FLDigi settings and had to redo them. Now I have no TX output with either FLDigi, Digipan or digital master.

There is power output on CW and SSB
The cables are connected OK (they weren't changed anyway).
The right burbling sounds are coming out of the laptop on all programs.
The Rigblaster is switching to "digital" ok.
The mic and power settings are ok.
The PTT settings are ok.

Still no RF output.

I think that the COMM port settings are ok but what is the best way of checking them?

What is tossing me is how come a fiddle with FLDigi could have stuffed up the other programs?

Is it possible that the serial to usb cable is the culprit?

I am very p----- off - many good digital signals around and all I can do is listen :cry: :cry: :cry:

Urgent help would be appreciated! But please remember that I am not a technomanic.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2GOM

Re: TX output has stopped on digital modes

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Wayne, on my PC I use a USB to serial device also, which if I sleep my PC at any time, then wake it, it tends to 'lose' the USB/Serial COM port. If I reboot, it comes back. It's got to be worth a try.

You should see if the port is there by right mouse button on 'My Computer', then click 'Properties' then Device Manager and look under Ports for the USB to COM port and make sure it is there.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

:D Found the problem! A loose connector on the circuit board of the interface. I managed to glue it back together but it is only a temporary fix - I am heading for a new interface. A Tigertronics one would be nice if I can find one at a "friendly" price.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

I actually went and got a serial card for my pc was only $13 I found it much more reliable for the shack I have been the laptop phase a few years ago and wont go back unless portable..
cheers
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Steve

What exactly is the problem with laptops for a digital station?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

VK4WDM wrote:Hi Steve
Wayne VK4WDM
The problem is "Fat Fingers".
I particularly dislike Laptop and Notebook PC keyboards, because I find them cramped and difficult to type properly - using all digits. Unless portability is required, such as for a field day or expedition, a desktop computer wins. Another issue may be the limited number of I/O ports in a portable computer, cf a desktop unit.
Not that most (it seems) Digital People use the keyboard for QSO, all that much. I got fed up with the "Macro QSO" that are prevalent, you know, exactly the same words come out for every QSO, including life story, the same for the computer, etc.
You know the operator either has very little English or can't type, when you ask them a question and they reply with the "73 macro"!
73, etc.
Luke VK3HJ
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

I can recommend the Tigertronics USB interface to anyone that wants to play 'digital'.. I have two of them and run both off the one computer.
They are plug and play devices and work with many programes.
From memory, the first one cost me $130 (a few years ago) and the second one was $140 (bought 2 years ago).
Both are still working like new and well work the money :D

Gary
VK8AW / VK4ABW
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Gary

You must have read my mind (scary :shock: ). I just finished ordering a Tigertronics.

I still waiting for my first EU on 6m for this cycle. Here's hoping for September!

You still in Darwin or back here? Its a bit lonely on 6m without you - not many others, especially dxers.

I just got my blue suit extended for another year. Guide dog and walking frame also supplied :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

difficult to type properly - using all digits
Hi Luke

I only type with two digits but I do find the laptop more difficult than a PC keyboard. Can you attach a larger key board to a laptop?

I must confess to using a lot of macros but my typing is so slow that I don't try too much "real time" stuff.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

Hi Wayne. I'm still in Darwin and expect to be here for some time. Just bought another house, so we 'flitter' between the 2 properties. Was at Bluewater a few weeks ago but didn't have the time to visit or catch up with friends, etc. Had the radio with me and put out a few calls but no replies on 2mtrs.
Will hopefully be back in Tvl later this year (a more relaxed visit) and have time to see everyone and maybe play a bit of radio too..... :?

I have set up WSPR here in Darwin on 10mtrs and 6mtrs and that's what the TigerTronics do very nicely. I have also had a few EME contacts on 6mtrs using them too and they are also used for watching for 48 / 49mhz tv indicators thru Spectrum Lab. :D

Setting up APRS this arvo too....if i can get that 2nd 2/70cm vertical to the top of the tower.
I'm still looking after the Def Net and flitter between the bases (where ever my services are in demand) but the Blue Uniform is long gone.....memories... :wink:

cheers
de Gary 8)
VK8AW / VK4ABW
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

Yes, Wayne, external keyboard, mouse and even display can usually be connected to a portable computer. Problem is you run out of ports really quickly!
I built a soundcard interface a few years ago. Dead easy - just a couple of isolation transformers and an opto-coupler (on a bit of Veroboard) to make sure the rig is fully isolated from computer, all in a little diecast aluminium box. Now it's spare, as I use HPSDR, which does not use a sound card, all interfacing is done in software.
BTW, I do have some macros set up to work DXpeditions, to make sure I don't muck it up in the heat of the moment!
Luke VK3HJ
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

Hi Steve
I found them generally unstable and in the serial to usb adaptors unless you find the right drivers and that in it self can be a mission. even then there are peculiarities
so in the shack I went for an older desktop rock solid xp seems to be more reliable.
also temperatures on laptops can be a problem for older one.
or as luke says key boards. I think you get the drift
portable is a different matter
just my experience and everyone has their thoughts .
cheers
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK3HJ wrote:Yes, Wayne, external keyboard, mouse and even display can usually be connected to a portable computer. Problem is you run out of ports really quickly!

BTW, I do have some macros set up to work DXpeditions, to make sure I don't muck it up in the heat of the moment!
Luke VK3HJ
Have you considered a wireless keyboard/mouse combo? Jaycar have two models (XC4941 & XC4943) both of which include an integrated trackball. The larger one is more like a full sized keyboard. They don't need special drivers to make them work and the USB dongle for the small keyboard is small enough that you can leave it plugged permanently without danger of breaking it. Team that with a USB Signalink and you've got everything covered with two USB ports. I've built a number of soundcard interfaces but once I tried the Signalink they all went into the junk box never to return.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour