Is this possible???

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Is this possible???

Post by ZL3ADT »

Hi all

Got an email from UX0UN Ukraine today saying he heard me on 50.110 last night at 0648 working someone.
He said band was open to the east and he worked JA HL BY etc.
I worked VK4CZ at about 0648.
He has 7 elements and 1 kw and I have 100w.I heard nothing of him and my report he sent was R3 S3
Has anyone worked or heard of him? Maybe he is hoping to get QSL from Logger Information.

Ross
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Is this possible???

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Ross
ZL3ADT wrote:Hi all
Got an email from UX0UN Ukraine today saying he heard me on 50.110 last night at 0648 working someone.
He said band was open to the east and he worked JA HL BY etc.
I worked VK4CZ at about 0648.
He has 7 elements and 1 kw and I have 100w.I heard nothing of him and my report he sent was R3 S3
Has anyone worked or heard of him? Maybe he is hoping to get QSL from Logger Information.
Ross
About 18 months ago I had a similar email that I was heard in that part of the world but oddly I was not even at home for several days either side of the claimed time in the email (but I was on VKLOGGER from my phone during the period I was away to check on things), I have heard stories of stations fishing for QSL's via methods like this.

While it would be nice to hope it was a real sign of a path (heaven knows we would all love that) I for one would be a sceptic.

Peter, vk5pj
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply,yes it seems unlikely but thought I would ask.

Was hoping for more feedback from the DXCC guns!
VK2XQ

Post by VK2XQ »

Very suspect Ross, I would dismiss it straight away, no mention of ZL3 beacon or anyone else or observations. Anyone can lift things off the Loggers and "create" a story to see if they can suck you in... :| Jack VK2XQ/VU (on holidays in India...)
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Ross

A bit odd, but I would not dismiss it completely. If the predictions for this cycle are correct there should be some Oz to EU propagation by now. It can be extremely fickle and short-lived, especially early in the cycle and can go from excellent to nothing within a single over, sometimes even during the length of a call-sign.

I worked quite a lot of Ukrainian stations during the last sunspot cycle peak and most of them were about that time of night, but the time of year is a bit odd. Most contacts between EU and Oz occur during March and April and September and October but I have worked a few in late May. None in June that I remember.

It could of course been a simple error of indentification by the UN station who thought it was a VK he was hearing. What a pity that he did not identify the station you were working.

I have also had reports by email or on spots, of my signal being heard in EU (100w to a 7 el yagi) when I was hearing absolutely nothing from over there, with the reverse also being true - hearing EU where they could not hear me, so "one way traffic" does occur.

Also, don't be fooled by the absence of indicators and an apparently "dead" band. The transmitting footprint of the propagation can be very small and stations may be transmitting to this part of the world but the in-country beacons and TV stations are outside the footprint and not being heard. I worked CX on the long path when the bath was devoid of any indications of propagation to anywhere. (Unfortunately he wrote my call down as VK4WDF making the contact was invalid, and it took five years for him to tell me that :cry:) .

The receiving footprint can also be very small. For example, VK4FNQ in Charters Towers may be working Dx whilst stations in Townsville, 120km away, have no propagation.

In short, 6m is the magic band and anything is possible! :D

Wayne VK4WDM (not a "Big gun" but been on 6m since 1964).
VK2XQ

Post by VK2XQ »

Placing the odd call often brings a dividend, about four years ago I called on a totally dead 50.110MHz and had Rod ZL3NW reply on SSB 5X5, no ZLTV at all on 45/50MHz and no ZL3SIX beacon either, just a very narrow/selective opening.

Likewise just last summer again called on a "dead" 50.110MHz and had Raj 3D2ER in Fiji respond to the call albeit a 3X1 it was still a good contact on a band totally void of indicators.

Have seen a number of occasions here no 49.750MHz indicators yet the JA's have been coming in, also few JA beacons at the time too, selective narrow path openings. Jack VK2XQ
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

Thanks for input chaps.
Got another Email from UX0UN,he wants to send his QSL card.Have told him I can not send mine.
Our best DX from a "dead" band was CT3HF over South America April 2000,he lasted about 3 minutes after calling CQ.
Still hoping to work Europe before rest home!
VK4WM

Post by VK4WM »

It is more than possible, I have Nik UX0UN's QSL card here for our 25/03/2011 QSO 50.100 mhz CW Nik gave me RST 559 and I gave him 419, I was working JA's via TEP when NIk popped up, because I had quick QSB on his signal and I thought I was dealing with another JA I was confused for a while but got his call, rst and name, he had no problems hearing me and very patiently kept responding to my requests for repeats. He probably did hear you Ross.

Wade VK4WM
Hervey Bay
VK4WM

Post by VK4WM »

When you look at the path between my QTH, JA and the Ukraine it is roughly in line, my theory is TEP to JA then F2 or SSSP to UX0UN
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

Thanks Wade. Rod ZL3NW has just returned from overseas and informed me he got and Email from same person similar to the Email I received.
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

If you look at this from a quantum point of view it is very possible. As the electrons involved will pass through every point simultaneously then it must have passed your antenna...

:)
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Ross
ZL3ADT wrote:Thanks Wade. Rod ZL3NW has just returned from overseas and informed me he got and Email from same person similar to the Email I received.
Was ZL3NW overseas at the time of the reported observation? I was not shure whether you meant this confirms it might have happened or elevates the suspicion factor?

Peter, vk5pj
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

Hi Peter

Sorry for confusion,Rod says he got an Email before going overseas, long before I got mine(I cant remember when) which although in broken english similar to the one I got.
Was speaking with Rod on phone yesterday.
I thinks this raises the suspicion factor.
Wish the quantum theory would bring more long distance DX down here !!