W6PQL 432 MHz SSPA 1KW now available!

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
ZL4PLM

W6PQL 432 MHz SSPA 1KW now available!

Post by ZL4PLM »

Hey All,

some good news for 432 MHz ops!

after some encouragement from me (nagging him when he was going to do it more like LOL...thanks Jim!) Jim W6PQL has come up with a superb design for a 432 MHz 1KW+ solid state PA using 50V Freescale devices.

I had the fun to help him along with the testing at the 500W level while I was in Fremont visiting him recently - they are really nice! So am pleased to see the 1KW version fly!

This new amp uses 2 x Freescale MRFE6VP5600H devices (600w) combined using a small commercial coupler on the input and a PCB printed coupler on the output.

1KW looks to be around 5W drive - 50V at 32A approx.

This is a real neat design and encompasses the mods and improvements Jim has developed over the past 12 months or so on 144 and 222 MHz bands using the Freescale range of 50V devices.

This is the breakthrough I have personally been waiting for - no messy coax combiners - A single board - 2 devices - 1.2KW out and easy combiners - no messing with coax.

More info on his webpages:

http://w6pql.com/1kw_70cm_ldmos_amplifier.htm

He will be making kits and assembled/tested units shortly!

Take a look and drop him a line if you're interested

Rgds

Simon ZL4PLM

Check out more information on the world 50 MHz and Up : http://www.zl4plm.com
Attachments
432 KW.jpg
432 kw spec.jpg
VK3BJM

Re: W6PQL 432 MHz SSPA 1KW now available!

Post by VK3BJM »

Nice looking stuff, for sure, Simon.

Two months ago a gift from a patron ( 8) ) gave me the means to purchase pretty much everything needed to build one of the single device pallets. Only missing the copper bar for the spreader. I didn't have enough to get all the bits for two pallets, but as mentioned elsewhere 500w capability is enough here - for the moment.

However, adding a second pallet will take place sooner rather than later - there will be real estate in the case and on the heat-sink put aside for this. But it will be a second pallet, rather than going with Jim's two device PCB. So...

What would be really nice would be if Jim makes the high power combiner available as a stand-alone "kit", as he has for 23 and 13 cm. Might be a little less messing around than the combiner described in the latest (2/2012) edition of DUBUS.

Would he be considering this, Simon?

Barry
VK3BJM
ZL4PLM

Re: W6PQL 432 MHz SSPA 1KW now available!

Post by ZL4PLM »

Barry, Jim's a nice guy - ask him - I know he made the parts as individual items and brought them together as one so the couplers exist as stand alone tested boards

Try him :)

Cheers

Simon ZL4PLM