FT817 and FT 897 V/UHF use

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: FT817 and FT 897 V/UHF use

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello to you all,
does anyone know the max current raiting for the linear keying line (TX Gnd) on the 8pin mini DIN on the FT817? I have looked through my manual many times for it but cannot find any values for its.
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK5PJ wrote:Does anyone know the max current raiting for the linear keying line (TX Gnd) on the 8pin mini DIN on the FT817?
The transistor used is a 2SD2211 which has a maximum Ic of 1.5A. Having said that, I'd suggest keeping it below 500 mA (my personal opinion).

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

VK3ALL wrote:yes there is a hi swr warning
presumably you mean when operating on VHF or UHF ??

you didnt answer my Q as to what antenna you have in the V/UHF port ??
but a hi SWR warning there indicates you have an antenna or feedline prob on the V/UHF mode

cheers
Dave
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has suggested the very first thing I would do... have you connected a dummy load to the antenna port displaying high VSWR? If transmitting into the load results in the SWR alarm disappearing then your fault is external to the radio. If it is still there then you have an internal fault. And check your lead from the radio with a multimeter... you could have a dud lead.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

VK2AAH wrote:I'm a bit surprised that no-one has suggested the very first thing I would do... have you connected a dummy load to the antenna port displaying high VSWR? If transmitting into the load results in the SWR alarm disappearing then your fault is external to the radio. If it is still there then you have an internal fault. And check your lead from the radio with a multimeter... you could have a dud lead.
Cheers,
Richard
VK2AAH
well I was getting there but its been a bit of a struggle getting answers
to existing basic questions ;)

Dave
VK7PD
Forum Novice

Re: FT 897 birdy as posted by ZL2WHO

Post by VK7PD »

I have an FT 857 and 817 and both have spurious responses when trying to receive 45.250 MHz, so this appears to be normal for that series of receivers. No doubt the manufacturer would point out that this frequency is not in an amateur band. It's just a shame that this problem is so close to the vision frequency of channel 1 NZ because it is a very handy propagation indicator.

Peter