JT65 requirements

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK4WDM

JT65 requirements

Post by VK4WDM »

I use a 10 year old PC with windows 98, a Rigblaster IF and FT847 for PSK. Can I use the same setup for JT65? The PC is not connected to the net so there may be an issue with clock accuracy.

Cheers

Wayne
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Re: JT65 requirements

Post by VK6ADF »

VK4WDM wrote:I use a 10 year old PC with windows 98, a Rigblaster IF and FT847 for PSK. Can I use the same setup for JT65? The PC is not connected to the net so there may be an issue with clock accuracy.

Cheers

Wayne
Hi Wayne...I also use a rigblaster and FT-847 and used an old laptop with Celeron 500Mhz CPU 4 years ago but that was with the older versions of WSJT...whether the later versions would work I don't know as the specs specify a 800Mhz CPU and 128M ram for the later versions. If you can't connect to the net you can use a GPS to set the time if you have one...otherwise it could pose problems with timing. The specs just say Windows without specifying if 98 is included. I remember my laptop had windows 98 on it for most of its life till I upgraded...but again they were older versions of WSJT.

73 Phil...
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Re: JT65 requirements

Post by VK3HZ »

Hi Wayne,

I also use an FT-847, but with a homebrew interface.

I'd recommend that your PC time be within 2 secs of actual. You could set the PC clock manually from a time signal (WWV, talking clock ...). However, longer term, an online NNTP server or GPS would make life easier.

I don't think there's a problem running on W98 as such. However, the slow CPU will extend the time it takes to decode a message, and the max time available is the Tx period plus a bit (i.e. roughly 1 min). So, if the CPU is too slow, no go. Also, if you start using Deep Search, the CPU requirements increase drastically. Give it a try and see.

A slow CPU will work fine with FSK441 for Meteor Scatter.

Regards,
Dave.