Computer Problem

VK2KRR

Computer Problem

Post by VK2KRR »

Since we had a power blackout here last night at about 7pm and only came back on about midday today, my computer has in issue.

Turns on fine but now its coming up with USER Login, like it would if you had a few users on the one PC with different passwords so each one can log in with their own settings etc.

Only problem is, it wasn't set up like this before the power blackout, and its asking me for a PASSWORD, which I do not have. It has my name as the user to log in, there are no other users.

What to do? can anyone help as I have no idea. A few things I have tried havn't worked.

The computer runs Windows and is a unit I purchased new from DELL a few years ago, its been working fine.
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Re: Computer Problem

Post by ZL2WHO »

Im not overly flash with pc's but could you try a restore. Going back to some point before the blackout may work. 2nd option would involve a big hammer. :lol:
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2KRR wrote:Since we had a power blackout here last night at about 7pm and only came back on about midday today, my computer has in issue.

Turns on fine but now its coming up with USER Login, like it would if you had a few users on the one PC with different passwords so each one can log in with their own settings etc.

Only problem is, it wasn't set up like this before the power blackout, and its asking me for a PASSWORD, which I do not have. It has my name as the user to log in, there are no other users.

What to do? can anyone help as I have no idea. A few things I have tried havn't worked.

The computer runs Windows and is a unit I purchased new from DELL a few years ago, its been working fine.
What operating system /version of winblows ?
it's possible to boot off a utility cd and delete a record file on most versions of winblows making the password null
google removing pass word and email me if you get stuck
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

just try hitting the ok without entering a password. By default the user id is set during setup and a blank password is given to it. Once you are in the turn the login reguirement off. Once you get in it might be an idea to retore back to just previous of the blackout.
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Leighroy,

Try these

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstrick ... xppass.htm

If it all goes pear shaped and you don't have a backup you might have to re-install windows. I'd suggest installing onto fresh drive and then mounting your original drive to copy all the important stuff onto your new C:\.

Of course, once you have it all going, make a recovery disk, create an administrator account and record the details somewhere else etc, etc.

Good luck
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Have you tried simply hitting "Enter" so you're logging in without a password? May sound dumb, but even I've fallen over with that one a few times.

Otherwise, for XP the boot utilities are very good and reasonably intuitive to use.

There are a couple of little tricks with Win7, but will await further info.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Thanks for the responses folks.

In answer to some of the questions, (using the work laptop btw to send this),

* Its running Windows XP
* Hitting enter without any typed in password doesn't work, nor does Admin ( a variety of swear words dont work either btw :lol: )

I should mention that, up until a few weeks ago I did have two separate logins, for me and my partner. A few weeks ago I got rid of her user account on there because she doesn't really use it much anyway. Since I changed this there has not been a requirement for password when turning on. In any case I have used the password that I did have and it does not work.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

OK guys dont panic, I just spoke to the other half and recalled that when I deleted her account I also changed the password. I remembered what that was and put it in and now im IN! :o

Thank god for that.

Thank you for your ideas though, appreciated.
VK3YFL
Forum Novice

Post by VK3YFL »

Leigh,

Now I can't put my hands on the CD I used to solve basically the same problem some time back by clearing all user passwords, but I think it's the CD I burn't from the image file described in this article:http://techrena.net/reset-windows-xp-vi ... -drive-cd/

Regards,

Bryon
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Bryon,

Thank you, I hopefully wont need to worry, but if I ever do I will check it out.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Leigh,
before another day passes, go and set the ADMINISTRATOR password, right click on MY Computer and select "Manage" navigate to the user manager and select the ADMINISTRATOR account, set a password on there, write it on a bit of paper, out it in an envelope and put it in the very front of your filing cabinet.
VK2KRR wrote:Bryon,

Thank you, I hopefully wont need to worry, but if I ever do I will check it out.

Peter
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK2KRR wrote:OK guys dont panic, I just spoke to the other half and recalled that when I deleted her account I also changed the password. I remembered what that was and put it in and now im IN! :o

Thank god for that.

Thank you for your ideas though, appreciated.
Leigh, IN as in IN, or IN as in another type of IN...??? :roll:
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA