Wyong Field Day

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Re: Wyong Field Day

Post by VK2ZRH »

Judging by past years, if you turn up at 9am, there is still plenty of junk/treasure to get . . . highly dependent on your interests and eagle eye :wink:

Last year, I spotted a long sought-after tool - a steel set square & rule (metric & imperial) with bubble level. One buck :!:

If you're after popularly sought-after stuff, the earlier you get there, the better. If you're patient, there's always next year :lol:

Some years, the "boot sale" strip was overloaded with unremitting dross offered at above-scrap-yard prices.

Boot sale strip traders begin decamping by or before lunchtime (through necessity to travel, sales success . . . or disappointment).

As this is your first time, treat it principally as "reconaissance". Make yourself a concise list of needs & wants. Have a bundle of cash in your wallet and be prepared to pull it out and put it back several times before handing over any $. Remember that stuff offered by traders under the covered area may often offer more value for money if they have something on your needs/wants list.

Re-read everything Trash VK2XSO has said here :D

Discard expectations. If you're determined to enjoy yourself, you will. Don't forget there are many other things to see and do besides trawl the boot sale strip: displays, lectures, fock sunts, non-Facebook encounters ( :wink: ), licence upgrade tests et al.

See you there.

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2DDS

Post by VK2DDS »

Thanks for the advice Roger.

I'm really just looking for a 2m rig, something to monitor the local repeaters while on HF etc. Also looking at HF rigs for a friend of mine.

It will be a learning experience for both of us, I guess.
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Don't forget to drop in to the VHF-UHF group gathering at 2pm (listen for PA announcements).

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

yes, that gathering is a must-attend.

its upstairs in the main building. just keep going up the stairs then turn left at the top. its in a glass enclosed room at the end of the top area

we will be there as always
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

Unfortunately, this will be the first time in ~ 8 years that I wont be there :(
I'm still recovering from a nasty bout of pneumonia that hospitalised me for a week

I'm just not well enough to drive up there and then do lots of walking around
To all my friends that I catch up with face to face each year at Wyong, have an awesome day
I will miss our annual renewing of acquaintances

cheers
Dave
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Dave, do you want a ride up there? I can't help you with the walking round (no piggybacks!) but I can certainly offer you transport both ways?

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

Yeah, whats the deal with personal hygine and Hamfests ? :P
Its a bad look, the socially inept bad smelling..enought to scare off newcomers!
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK3ZFS wrote:Yeah, whats the deal with personal hygine and Hamfests ? :P
Its a bad look, the socially inept bad smelling..enought to scare off newcomers!
Perhaps it's "some hams are geeks"
Being in regular contact with the public means in my game appearence means a lot , of course theaverage ham is getting older and the jokes about "old men" might well flow thick but a hot room full of jostling people does mean certain things no matter who fills the throng ?
Perhaps mandatory door sprays on entry ?
Or a sheep dip :P
ZL3MH
Frequent Poster

Wyong Field Day 2012

Post by ZL3MH »

Hi all

Yes I have been twice. Last time it was real hot 45c and the car pack was not
so full of traders. Any pic,s please !

All the best Murray ZL3MH
VK2XQ

Post by VK2XQ »

I noticed the lack of attention to personal hygiene when I attended Wyong last year with Peter VK2DYN, pretty rank, not to mention those dressed like they had spent the night with a flagon of plonk on a park bench near Central Station.

People have the gall to have a go at the CB community as odd balls and rag tags, well, if my last visit to Wyong was any indication about the "image" of amateur radio... :lol:

I attended an amateur radio meet in Tokyo back in the mid 1980's and well over 90% of the Japanese radio amateurs in attendance donned collar and tie. Likewise I was invited to attend a 29MHz FM meeting at Osaka, and again, collar and ties were the majority. By the way, I was told both meets were "informal" dress too.

Wonder what the JA's would thing of Wyong? :shock:

No, I am not going this year, I tend to go every five to seven years or so, for those who are attending, have fun, and remember to take a face mask!

Jack VK2XQ
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

VK2GOM wrote:Hi Dave, do you want a ride up there? I can't help you with the walking round (no piggybacks!) but I can certainly offer you transport both ways?

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
thanks for the offer Rob, :)

But I am going to have to break with tradition :(

Dave
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Excellent Justin! My boot is empty, but the passenger seat isn't...

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2CU wrote:C'mon fellas, some are really over exaggerating, the smell is not THAT bad....don't put people off!
Although, some times the smell is on par with a roadkill that's been out in the sun for a week, but it can pass quickly,...

Yes there is the odd stinky loser, but that is to be expected at these sort of things.

Just loaded the ute up, and it is down to the jockey springs!

Should be fun!

justin.
A few drops of essentual oil on the collar and all will be sweet and new anyway (tea tree or Eucalyptus)
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Back home again - it's all over for another year! Not as busy this year I thought.

Picked up an FT817ND (IF rig for microwave as well as a bit of HF /P), a nice 5 digit true RMS Tektronix DMM, some RG214 N patch leads, and one of the new YouKits FG-01 antenna analysers, as well as a few other bits and bobs. Plus a few QSL cards from the buro that were waiting for me.

I tested the analyser out on my 40/20/10 EF antenna and it gave all sorts of funny readings... :( So I tried my VK5JST analyser on the same antenna and got the same funny readings... Turns out the coax has gone bad! So the analyser is perfectly OK and doing its job :D

Great to bump into some of the locals hams and microwavers there including VK2's NR, KYP, XSO, XDE, ME, DAG, CU, FMJC. Good to catch up. See you next year if not before!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Well my first visit to the Wyong Field Day is behind me.

I guess I missed something, because as I boarded the train to get home I was overwhelmed by the question:

"Is that it?"

Now this is in no way meant to denigrate the obvious extensive, and hard work of the organising committee. Clearly it was well ordered and organised.

Maybe the mistake I made was listening to those on here who evangelise the event as the best thing ever. Oh well I can now say BTDT.

What did surprise me was the attitude and lack of customer service ability of a couple of the traders - I will not name names but it wasn't the ones who have Sydney shopfronts. Empty stand, stand there, make eye contact with the person on the stand, they acknowledge me with a nod, and they just stand there and apparently ignore me.

Oh well the wallet went back in the pocket - at least I don't need to argue that one wit the XYL :)

I hope that others enjoyed themselves, turns out not to be my cup of tea.
VK2TJF

Post by VK2TJF »

Me too. Thought it would be bigger that is. Well organised though. I wasn't there long enough to have a sausage sammitch or a beer even (If I'd arrived later though :roll: ).
I must've missed all the good stuff outside. Would it hurt some sellers to run a damp rag over some of the stuff they wanted rid of? What about some price stickers on stuff? How much for this? What about that? Fairdinkum!
On the up side though, the 'inside stalls' were good. Had a squiz at the old radios from the museum. Didn't even know what the QSL Bureau was...but I do now!
Got excellent service from the ARTC(?) mob and ended up buying an antenna I didn't really want right then...I still don't know how they did it! Picked up an old tuner and couldn't be arsed haggling.
Was good listening to 2M all the way up, never heard it so busy that time of the morning!
As for the odour? I think some people may be a little over sensitive! Outside all I could smell was deodorant. Inside however, I did run across Mr Wet-dog-towel and Mr Stinkyman, but on the whole, I can't complain. Oh, and I have the flu, so I could barely smell anything!
Would I go next year?
Nah, probably not, not unless it's to meet someone and maybe have a beer :D

Good job CCARC.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Actually I have to congratulate people who went today because neither I nor my wife noticed any hygiene issues in the 1 1/2 hours we were there. Thank you all!

Paid my WIA membership, picked up a heap of cards from the Bureau and bought some odds & sods... got hassled by Rudi again to trade my Ameritron for one of his- as if that is going to happen in front of the wife!

Congrats to the organisers- if only the Race club would arrange for the EFTPOS machines to be working... 2 years in a row is not good.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

VK2AAH wrote:Actually I have to congratulate people who went today because neither I nor my wife noticed any hygiene issues
Ah come on. I was feeling a bit skanky in the first hours of the morning while the humidity was a bit high.
I was hoping the lynx girls might turn up because I didn't even have any mortein handy. :)

Time to sort through the treasure.
VK2GFR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GFR »

Pwofff... was that you Trash?
I thought I could smell your chemical concoctions from down here in Sydney. (juz kiddin mate) :?
But the idea of the LYNX girls might just get me going next year.... (to the field day that is) :mrgreen:
Or perhaps an aroma therapy spray every 20mtrs, with a nice water vapour spray too boot to cool down by (might not go too well with high voltages though) :shock:
Great to see all the positive (& informative) comments.
P.S. Was there any 6mtr gear up for grabs?
Mark, VK2GFR
Seven Hills
QF56LF
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

Another successful day - I picked up some air capacitors for 5 bucks each, some other odds and ends and an FT-897D at a good price (first HF rig!). Very happy with the rig, gave it a solid bashing on the local 2m repeater when I got home and then pulled in a couple of contacts on 40m last night (VK7 and VK4 S9+).
VK2TJF wrote:Got excellent service from the ARTC(?) mob and ended up buying an antenna I didn't really want right then...I still don't know how they did it!
If that is what you call excellent service then fair enough.

Geoff