FT-757 output

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
N8JYS

FT-757 output

Post by N8JYS »

I brought a Yaesu FT=757 on Evay. U am seeing full output on CW on all bands. OnSSB I am only seeing about 20 watts. I believe the ALC needs to be adjusted. However in the service manual there is no information on this. Only adjusted for the ALC is for the meter. Does anyone know how to adjust the ALC in a 757?

Thanks
Last edited by N8JYS on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK2DDS

Re: FT-757 output

Post by VK2DDS »

Have you tested the SSB output from a single tone input? An average power meter (ie: any moving coil SWR/PWR meter) will show about 20-30W average from SSB voice.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to VK Logger :).
VK5KAA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5KAA »

hi
have a look at pages 20-20 in the service manual they do not call it ALC just to fool us.
the two tone test is the way to check SSB power out,i think you will find it is 100 watts or close to it.
i also have a FT-857 and the meter readings look low.the two tone test gives 100 watts.
i hope this is info help full To You.
Gordon
N8JYS

Post by N8JYS »

Thamks for the tip. It is almost full output on ssb with a tone. Voice is only about 20 watts on a average peak meter. I appreciate the tips.
N8JYS

Post by N8JYS »

I have check the service manual and I dont see the two tone test. Does anyone have an idea on how to adjust the ALC.
Thnaks Gene N8JYS
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

N8JYS wrote:I have check the service manual and I dont see the two tone test. Does anyone have an idea on how to adjust the ALC.
Thnaks Gene N8JYS
P20 & P21 of the service manual describes all the TX adjustments. Whilst it doesn't describe a two tone test it will help you correctly adjust the transmitter. However, reading your earlier posts it seems your transmitter is ok. If a single tone or whistle shows 100W and voice peaks bounce around 20W on your power meter you are good to go.

Search for two tone test in google if you want to learn more.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5KAA
Forum Novice

Post by VK5KAA »

hi Gene.
the alc adjustment is described on page 48 of the ft857D operating manual (ssb mic gain) Menu Mode No-81 {SSB MIC GAIN}.
there is no reference to the two tone test in the service manual.
Gordon