Advice on RF Signal Generator for HF/6m

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK6WAX

Post by VK6WAX »

Hello Group
I've have a couple of projects that have reached the point of requiring an RF signal generator, I don't have any transmitters or the budget for a R&S SMC100A however much I lust after it!

Can the Group recommend a generator with the following requirements?
1) Frequency up to about 60MHz
2) Reasonably accurate to align/test HF/6m equipment
3) AM / FM modulation
4) Free standing, ie doesn't require a PC to drive it

I have a frequency counter, the old Electronics Australia 500MHz kit, which seems reasonably accurate so the generator wouldn't necessarily need a digital readout.

Would these requirements be within the realms of say a $500 budget?
Many thanks.
Andrew
vk6wax
VK2DDS

Re: Advice on RF Signal Generator for HF/6m

Post by VK2DDS »

Hi Andrew,

I had a flick through the emona online catalog and the best you can get there for under $500 is a 20MHz DDS function generator or an analog equivalent for $350. Can't seem to find any RF generators over 20MHz though so I probably haven't looked in the right places.

-Brent
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Keep a lookout on ebay and vkham and hamfests for older boat anchor generators. Most of them have an external mod input and step attenuator. Marconi & HP come to mind. The manuals are relatively easy to procure and in most cases you can fix whatever is wrong with them. Sometimes you'll see Leader or Tech or Dick Smith brand generators appear. Nowhere near as flash as the old "professional" equipment but they work and will do what you want. With these cheaper units you'll probably have to make your own step attenuator rather than rely on whatever they have built in. Also for the higher bands they rely on harmonics rather than generating the desired frequency.

Once you get into the newer synthesised gear expect to pay much more than $500 and consider that in most cases if something goes wrong you may not be able to repair it yourself.

I can recommend the Marconi 2002 series of generators from the 70's. Good solid state machine that is quite stable when it warms up and put's out up to 2V RMS up to 88MHz. Besides weighing over 20kg, the only problem you'll find with them is that they use a lot of little potcore inductors for supply filtering etc and these have a tendency to go open.

I hear the HP606 generators which use a mixture of valves and transistors are pretty good too.

Also, if you like building things you might have a look at the MiniKits DDS generator kit.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

I would say put an ad on VK Classifieds saying what you want. I did a few years ago and got several replies when I wanted a RF Sig Generator. As Lou mentioned in a previous message eBay is also a good source.
Last edited by VK6ADF on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

Put a wanted ad on VK Classifieds. There is a lot of used test equipment out there.

Although a nice unit, the HP 8640B is probably to be avoided now unless in really good condition, because some plastic parts can be problematic.
Damien VK3RX
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

DDS eBay $12 posted. 0 to 60Mhz

Ben

VK5TX
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TJ »

While you are saving up, bung one of these together:

http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html

Get the Si570 as a free sample - that way only about $25.

Cannot modulate it easily, and you'll have to do your own attenuator, but what value for $$$!

Somewhere in the pile of paper, I may have even seen a way to add a bolt-on modulator....

John VK4TJ
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Any one of these would do as a starter

http://vkclassifieds.vkclassifieds.com. ... =retrieval
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK6WAX

Post by VK6WAX »

Thanks for the many replies.
A lot of points that I hadn't considered.

I notice some of the ebay DDS offerings can measure up to 60MHz but only have generator frequencies of 2, 5 or 10MHz. Something to watch for in the details.

I've decided to follow John's (vk4tj) advice and put together the k5bcq kit. At the same time do a whole lot more research and learning before looking at "bigger" purchases. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
Cheers
Andrew
vk6wax
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

Old Marconi Siggen TF995A..all analouge.. often for $20 at hamfets
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/marconiins ... or_tf.html