Summer Field Day 2012 (Jan 14/15) thread...

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

Re: Summer Field Day 2012 (Jan 14/15) thread...

Post by VK4CRO »

Vk4wie /p will operate from scenic rimm 4wd park Qg61
500m elevation with good clear horizonn to all but the west.
operators vk4mjf - vk4gc - vk4ksy - vk4djb
hope to work you ALL
ciao Ron vk4cro
Cheers
Ron cro
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

vk3fact will operate from melton home station only fm 2 m and 70cm
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK4XA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4XA »

VK4BOF wrote:The VK4WAT team will be operational from Hallorans Hill, Atherton Nth QLD (QH22RR) again this year.
Bands will be 6M, 2M, 70cm, 23cm, 3cm.
Power outputs of up to 400 watts are available on selected bands.
Team members will be: John VK4TL, Jeff VK4BOF, Dale VK4DMC, Stu VK4SDD & Gary VK4FD.
(Or in other words, all of the 5 ACTIVE members of the 30+ member Tablelands Radio & Electronics Club)
Well, we tried.........No propagation, heavy rain and a lack of interest and support from the surrounding Amateurs resulted in us shutting down at midday local time with a total of 12 contacts on 6Metres and less on 2M, 70cm & 23cm with none at all on 3cm.

We will NOT be submitting a log and it will be the LAST VHF/UHF field day that TREC as a club will be involved in.
(And I will give credit where its due.......for the first time EVER, we had Townsville based operators come up on frequency in a contest. Thanks Loyd VK4FP and Ross VK4RO for the contacts guys.)

TREC's next contest will be the VK Shires contest from Mt Surprise (Etheridge Shire) in the June long weekend.
We shall see what we shall see.
Jeff Cochrane
VK4XA
East Innisfail, Queensland
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

VK4BOF wrote:
Well, we tried.........No propagation, heavy rain and a lack of interest and support from the surrounding Amateurs resulted in us shutting down at midday local time with a total of 12 contacts on 6Metres and less on 2M, 70cm & 23cm with none at all on 3cm.

We will NOT be submitting a log and it will be the LAST VHF/UHF field day that TREC as a club will be involved in.
(And I will give credit where its due.......for the first time EVER, we had Townsville based operators come up on frequency in a contest. Thanks Loyd VK4FP and Ross VK4RO for the contacts guys.)
you are 1500km to the nearest centre of activity for the contest - its a tough gig from up north for sure - Is portable EME an option ??
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Ok, who upset "Murphy" for this event ?

I suspect that almost everyone out there was inflicted with issues - me included. Whether it be rain, mechanical issues, electronic issues or poor propagation, it seems almost all of us were affected.

My day started with an extra 105-110Km added to the "getting-there" trip to return to pick up my 10MHz TCXO reference for the microwave gear ( making me about 1 1/2 hours late getting set up), then the main masting tube bent to a 30degree angle during the lifting process due to the head weight (the same head weight as always, I might mention, and that pipe was re-bent to a wiggly-straight under my weight !), the rotator power wouldn't come up, the direction indicator in one rotator was acting randomly, the local FM stations were overloading the IC-706Mk2G on 2m SSB (not noticed previously so something has been changed with them since November),.......

The photos, plus a writeup, are on my web site : http://www.vk4adc.com/web/index.php/fie ... 12sfd.html

Even so, I will get back out there for the John Moyle Field Day with many things fixed / checked / rechecked, along with a bit of mechanical re-design included. The JMFD will be treated as a precursor to the Winter FD, even though that event will have HF involved as well.

To those that did operate and provide us with contacts, many thanks.
Last edited by VK4ADC on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK5KLV
Forum Novice

Post by VK5KLV »

Murphy ame to visit me also on Saturday! I arrived at my site & disovered that I had left the base for my mast at home, a phone all to the XYL had it delivered a little later (30 km + drive) after a up of offee with her & her girlfriend who ame for a ride the generator would not start, a plug lean & aerostart fixed that. After 2 ontats on 2M the SWR on 2/70 went sky high, traed to a shorted N plug at the radio end of line after dropping mast to no avail! From there on had a ball! 73's Les.
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK5KLV wrote:Murphy ame to visit me also on Saturday! I arrived at my site & disovered that I had left the base for my mast at home, a phone all to the XYL had it delivered a little later (30 km + drive) after a up of offee with her & her girlfriend who ame for a ride the generator would not start, a plug lean & aerostart fixed that. After 2 ontats on 2M the SWR on 2/70 went sky high, traed to a shorted N plug at the radio end of line after dropping mast to no avail! From there on had a ball! 73's Les.
You might want to fix the letter C on your keyboard :idea:

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK4FB
Forum Novice

Post by VK4FB »

Operating from Brisbane in a VHF-UHF Contest, is a joke, why include 6m if stations don't want to work you for 1 point ( where is the magic)
It is about time to make this contest fair and fun. What about a Red Card "Disqualification" for operators that are in the contest for some but not the others.
This is a radio sport,
Could that be the reason that so many top operators are not in this contest anymore.
:idea: give 50 points for the first contact per band per operator or even 100 points, could fix a problem like that.
for example VK4KLC Ron who did really well i'm not sure what his final score is 190 contacts , probably worked more different stations than anyone in Brisbane.
will not make it under the first 10 in the Homestation categorie, that is pretty sad with an effort like that.
Example for my first contact with VK4KLC on 6m i would get 50 points bonus for the second contact with VK4KLC Ron on 6m I get the magic 1point :lol: at least this way we have more of a chance that someone wants to work you. I would make it the same with every other band.
I believe it could be more fair this way.
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Roland

As a matter of interest, I called CQFD a number of times on 52.100 SSB and on 52.525 FM and had just one FM contact as a result of those calls - and I was particularly looking for Standard calls.

I don't know that anyone would intentionally not have worked you if they heard you. After all, every point does count in the total score and even if they were in the same grid locator, 1 point for another 6m contact = 1 point more.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

From the rules:
"Suggested procedure for SSB stations is to call on .150 on each band"

So it is not likley that many were on 52.100 MHz. I was on 52.150 MHz and made a couple of contacts. Even did a split one on 50.150/52.150.

Pretty uncomfortable operating conditions in the Blue Mountains with light and heavy rain plus a decent cloud burst so thanks to those around Sydney who made the effort and especially to those who popped up to put a few numbers out. Makes it worthwhile and helps to keep warm when you are busy!

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Compton

I have 52.100 then 52.150 then 52.525 set up in sequential memories on the radio so may have also called on there too, I did everywhere else. On 146.500FM - I heard one station I had already worked on 2M SSB !! No one else responded to my calls.

Re :
VK2HRX wrote:Suggested procedure for SSB stations is to call on .150 on each band"

That extract doesn't recognise the meaning of the sentence two earlier in the rules : "Except for CW, no contest operation is allowed below 50.150 MHz." does not mean that you can't actually work on something below 52.150, particularly given that the 52MHz segment is treated as a band extension by the Advanced operators.

Realistically 52.100 is quite ok to use in the contest environment. (I.E. it isn't against the rules)
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
VK4FB
Forum Novice

Post by VK4FB »

I did have 18 contacts on 52.150 and 52.525
6m is the last band some stations are worried about when they have got every other band and that is a fact.
I have been told "I have got other things to worry about than to get a point on 6m"
When you have got not enough operators to run a VHF-UHF Contest than it is pretty sad, many club stations have packed up well before the contest was finished.

oh, ok Doug VK4ADC/P, I worked you 4 times in 24 hours and I got 4 bands 6m, 2m, 70cm, 23cm
Thanks for the contacts I was really starving, I thank you very much and I really mean it, as you said earlier many stations had there on little problems.
I'm not complaining about the 4 contacts with you or the 1 with VK4OX Adrian who I can hear without an antenna :lol:
I'm thinking about the clubs and single operators making the effort to be there, no matter what the weather is like and than to have not enough activity.

In my earlier post I was suggesting a different point system to attract more contacts and I believe it would.
VK4FB
Forum Novice

Post by VK4FB »

oh one more thing, In clubs, people ruffle of radios antennas many different things,
what about sponsors putting up trophies or whatever takes your fancy, antennas, radios as prices for different categories like for F- CALLS, for Standart Calls and Full Calls.
Legally we would be allowed to do it.
Than watch the logs come in.

suggestions for prices:
transverter for 2.4 ghz
preamp for 2m or 70cm
grid pack for 1.2 ghz
300 Watt inverter to run your laptop
or bigger to run your microwave :wink:
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

VK2HRX wrote:From the rules:
"Suggested procedure for SSB stations is to call on .150 on each band"

So it is not likley that many were on 52.100 MHz. I was on 52.150 MHz and made a couple of contacts. Even did a split one on 50.150/52.150.

Pretty uncomfortable operating conditions in the Blue Mountains with light and heavy rain plus a decent cloud burst so thanks to those around Sydney who made the effort and especially to those who popped up to put a few numbers out. Makes it worthwhile and helps to keep warm when you are busy!

Compton
VK2HRX
compton,

in Melbourne i was regularly calling on 52.100 ssb and 52.525 FM. and didn't work anyone on either of those frequencies. (i did work a lot on 50.150). i didnt even look above 52.100 ssb, assuming this was the notional place for that band. ill have to try higher next time. (an oversight for me i suspect)

i also popped up on fm 146.500 and 439.000 and worked 2xF calls and a couple of other people, maybe 5-6 fm contacts all up over the 24hrs. not a lot of fm activity. given i have pretty good coverage to most of metro Melbourne.

what is annoying is the stations that seem to have pre booked ssb and/or fm skeds with their own clubs, pop up, works the clubs then disappear so they don't have to give out contacts to OTHER stations. maybe they couldn't hear me calling them,. they were only 40 over 9 at my place, maybe I will need more power next time.

i do also agree that on the lower bands 1/3 even 5 points are seen as really not worth a lot of time/effort for some of the portable groups as they spend their time getting big points on the higher bands, it seems almost a chore for them to rework you every 3 hrs.

anyway, 206 contacts from a small triband vertical at 5m., lets see if that's good enough for a 7th outright in the home section..(some of the missing field stations meant microwave operators at home with ghz gear will beat me with simple multipliers) (maybe I will be the 1st vertical polarized station and 1st factory (low) power home station) maybe? :) :) maybe ill have to buy some ghz gear.. or install the horizontal antennas. (the verticle http://www.flickr.com/photos/asphotos/6 ... 8891285601
Last edited by VK3BQ on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK4ADC wrote:Compton

I have 52.100 then 52.150 then 52.525 set up in sequential memories on the radio so may have also called on there too, I did everywhere else. On 146.500FM - I heard one station I had already worked on 2M SSB !! No one else responded to my calls.

Re :
VK2HRX wrote:Suggested procedure for SSB stations is to call on .150 on each band"

That extract doesn't recognise the meaning of the sentence two earlier in the rules : "Except for CW, no contest operation is allowed below 50.150 MHz." does not mean that you can't actually work on something below 52.150, particularly given that the 52MHz segment is treated as a band extension by the Advanced operators.

Realistically 52.100 is quite ok to use in the contest environment. (I.E. it isn't against the rules)

Correct of course. Its just interpreation. I took it that 52.150 was the suggested frequency to use and it kind of fits in with the scheme on all the other contest calling frequencies on other bands. Of course you could call anywhere down to 50.150. My comment was about the chances of anyone listening on 52.100.

I'll be there again in Winter!!

PS: I like the idea of winners for each class of license. Being a mere standard operator I havent got a hope of winning anything the way it is currently set up.

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Roland,

I think an operator not wanting to make a contact with you says more about the operator than it does about the contest. Looking at the scores for the whole of last year it's clear that 6m makes up a small percentage of the total score. Without doubt most contacts are on 2m and 70cm closely followed by 23cm then the higher bands. Considering one of the aims of the contest is to encourage more activity on VHF and microwave bands I think these scores show the contest is a success.

However I agree with Doug that every contact is important and if someone spends time, money and effort to participate in one of these events it seems strange that an operator would not make the most of every opportunity presented to them. Our group makes sure that we ask each and every contact what other bands they have and try to work all bands regardless of points or band and that includes 6m.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5KLV
Forum Novice

Post by VK5KLV »

VK5ZD. CCC, I have installed a new keyboard & now ccCC is working!. 73, Les.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Regarding all the mechanical, weather and brain errors surrounding the contest, I guess thats what its all about and being able to set up for emergency situations to provide communications. So I'd put it down to a learning experience, and hopefully those things wont happen again next time around and mechanical/electrical failure improved upon. Not sure what to do about the brain errors though ? :lol: write a note maybe :mrgreen:

My congratulations to those who did go out to a portable site and provide another station on the contact list. Quite a lot of time and preparation goes into making the operation of some of these portable stations possible. Well done.

As mentioned in a previous message about prizes, trophys, prize money etc, Ive brought this up before, but someone or people (WIA) need to really investigate this option. Most other organisations have these incentives available for people who take part in big competition events. If we want to attract more people it might be something that would help. There are words though in regards to amateur radio regulation where it shall not be used for financial gain etc. Im not sure will leave that one to the WIA.

I had some very limited operation from the home station over the weekend and made some contacts on 6, 2 & 23 cm. An interesting flare up of sporadic E to 6m with only 30 mins left in the contest provided some fantastic frantic action into VK4 SE from here and big signals. Overall tropo was very poor from here.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

There's something desperately wrong with our hobby if we need to tempt amateurs on to the air with gifts and prizes.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4FB
Forum Novice

Post by VK4FB »

15000+ amateurs in Australia and only 100+ logs

In this Contest under 30 different call signs in 24 hours for me.

I think something is wrong, you are right!
Last edited by VK4FB on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.