Al & Steel tubes

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK2KRR

Al & Steel tubes

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi all,

Im struggling to get hold of tubes for rebuilding my antenna array.

Im looking for some 50.8 (2") tube. Could be light wall aluminium or gal steel slightly heavier wall.

At this stage I cant source them in Wagga.

Is there somewhere else that would ship up here?
VK1MA
Frequent Poster

Re: Al & Steel tubes

Post by VK1MA »

VK2KRR wrote:Hi all,

Im struggling to get hold of tubes for rebuilding my antenna array.

Im looking for some 50.8 (2") tube. Could be light wall aluminium or gal steel slightly heavier wall.

At this stage I cant source them in Wagga.

Is there somewhere else that would ship up here?
Hi Leigh, try NBS Antennas and Masts in Melbourne - he has all kinds of unusual and hard to find sizes of aluminium tubing available for sale. While his standard max length for shipping his products is limited to 3m, I imagine he would be willing to investigate other means of shipping - or make a trip down there and stock up - just take heaps of dollars as you will find lots of things at his factory that you want.

He doesn't have a website (although there is a selection of his items on epay if you do a search for NBS masts and antennas) - contact details are:
NBS Antennas & Masts
Fac 9 53-55 Sinclair Rd
Dandenong VIC 3175
0402 930 581
antennas@westnet.com.au

Matt
VK1MA
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Leigh, any branch of Metaland or similar will stock that. As for shipping, they will deliver on a truck, for a fee.

Not sure where your nearest is though - will have to Google.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

VK1MA Matt, thanks for that, will investigate.

VK2GOM, Rob, thats not true actually, as Metaland does not have that size in gal or aluminium. I think they can get something close in a standard type steel tube, which it looks like I may have to actually get and paint, or gal dip it myself.

You would think 2" tube would be fairly common :?
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Leigh,
electrical wholsalers will have lengths (4 or 5M I think) of thin wall steel tube, it is used by the antenna installers for masts and the like, it might not be 50mm dia but it would not hurt to enquire at your local electrical outlet (M&M, lawrence and hansen, rextel etc)
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK6DZ

Post by VK6DZ »

G'Day Leigh,
2" Stainless exhaust pipe ??. It is quite rigid & doesn't rust, Your local exhaust shop should be able to get it for you :roll:
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Pete, thanks, we have a Rexel in Wagga, so I could check that.

Derek, yes I thought about stainless, but I was concerned with the hardness or the ability of the U bolt clamps and brackets etc to bite into the metal so the wind doesn't blow the antennas off centre ?
VK2FXXX
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FXXX »

Gday leigh
You may want to try ringing your local scaffold hire company.
They will have a supplier,you may be able to order through them for a cheaper price.
You may be able to buy some of their used stock?

Brendan
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Try http://www.ullrich.com.au/drawn_round_tube.php

They are in Smithfiled in Sydney. Never not been able to get the tube I need. Capral also in Sydney have lots and can be cheaper.

Compton
VK2HRX
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Thanks guys
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Ive sourced at this stage, aluminium, 50 mm outside diameter with a 3mm wall thickness.
Thats about as close as I can get to 52 or 54 mm. Most sizes are 48.3 or 62.4 or something of that nature.
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Glad you have something sorted :)

I know from bitter experience how difficult it can be obtaining anything even vaguely technical in Australia. I miss being able to just walk into the local engineering/metal/electronics stores in the UK and get just about anything right off the shelf.

In the past needed Eight 6ft lengths of 1" dia Aluminium tube when I built my 18" telescope here, and after phoning around metal suppliers for about 3 days continuous, I found I could only obtain it as an aerospace-qualified alloy from Melbourne along with X-ray conformity certificates, for just over $4500 (plus GST) - more than the cost of the primary mirror...

In the end I got the same stuff from the USA (minus X-ray certificates) for $60, plus postage, which wasn't too bad at all.

You'd think there would be a good market for 'standard' sizes of tubing?

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3BSN

Post by VK3BSN »

Hi All,

Brian smith at NBS Antennas & Masts has a range of telescopic aluminium tube ranging from 1/4inch up to 60mm in various grades and wall thickness. He has the largest range in Australia and in an amateur radio operator who is trying to give amateurs want they need to build antennas. He also has a lot of portable masts and HF antenna gear that is hard or impossible to get from other places. Brian will have a web site up soon with some of his bits and pieces and at present sells some items on eBay or you can give him a call on 0402 930 581.
Cheers

Brian
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK3BSN wrote: Brian will have a web site up soon with some of his bits and pieces and at present sells some items on eBay or you can give him a call on 0402 930 581.
The website mentioned above is now online. I have not seen it mentioned since so thought I would add it to this thread. I have bought a couple of masts for portability from Brian previously and I am pleased with them.

http://www.nbsantennas.com.au/

I have no connection with the above other than being a happy customer.

73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4KGW

Post by VK4KGW »

Speak to Apple Aluminium near archerfield here in Bne , they will be able to offer salient suggestions