Rubidium FE-5680A on board RF connector?

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VE4ISS

Rubidium FE-5680A on board RF connector?

Post by VE4ISS »

Hi folks,

Has anyone figured out what type this onboard micro rf connector is? Rather than soldering a cable to it to get the 10Mhz out, I would like to use a cable with the appropriate matching connector.

Help greatly appreciated.

Tx, Stefan

FE5680A.JPG
VK3TPR

Re: Rubidium FE-5680A on board RF connector?

Post by VK3TPR »

It looks like an SMB to me, SMB male and/or female patch leads and loose connectors are readily available on ebay.

You could also pickup a piece of RG316 coax with SMBs at a ham swap meet.

regards
Peter
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I know it's not an SM-anything, they are absolutely tiny. The closest thing I have found are the push-in connectors used on some mobile phones for the antennas, called MCX. But again, they seem slightly smaller again. I may be wrong though. Jaycar do MCX patch leads. Could be worth a try?

If you are pulling 10MHz from the connector in there, I am guessing it's a Revision F system, that requires +5V also and is stuck on 10MHz, ie. non-programmable.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VE4ISS

Post by VE4ISS »

Thanks,

It is actually a revision B and I just programmed it for 10Mhz. It does not require +5V. Still would be good to know if anyone has figured out what connector that is.

Stefan
VK4VU
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4VU »

Hi Stefan,

I believe the connector is a Hirose U.FL jack.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirose_U.FL

This is also referred to in the paper by DD1US which is available from VK3UM's web site at the following URL.

http://www.vk3um.com/precise%20referenc ... %200_5.pdf

Hope this helps.

Rod Preston VK4KZR
VE4ISS

Post by VE4ISS »

Thanks Rod,

That was what I was originally thinking. However, when I was lookign at the matching female connector (for the cable) it appears that the outer ring fits over the outside male connector (the one on the borad) which in this case is not possible because of the black insulated casing. I will get one to play with. In the meantime, any other thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated.

Stefan
VE4ISS

Post by VE4ISS »

Here is what I mean together with the matching on-board connector. If you compare the two on-board connectors you see the similarities abut also the differences.

hirose.jpg
Hirose matching.jpg
FE5680A.JPG
VK4VU
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4VU »

Hi Stefan,

I think we are getting closer. I don't have access to an FE_5680 at the moment to measure the exact dimensions, but have a look at the Tyco OSMT / SSMT series.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... _739391_-1

Rod VK4KZR