Varactor Multiplier Data

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK4QB

Varactor Multiplier Data

Post by VK4QB »

Can anybody help me with varactor multiplier circuit data? I have some NEC varactor multipliers units ex 2034 mHz microwave links(56 mHz in and 2034 mHz out. 36 times ). . Lots of good parts inside and I thought I could convert them as beacons for 432 & 1296 but can't seem to find any circuit info on varactor multipliers.
Thanks
Brian VK4QB
VK2XSO

Re: Varactor Multiplier Data

Post by VK2XSO »

There is plenty of varactor diode multiplier circiuts in the RSGB VHF/UHF Handbook, or it's replacement, the international microwave handbook.

For simple applications, it's really just a matter of matching them as a load and filtering the output harmonics for the frequency required.
VK4QB

Post by VK4QB »

Thanks Trash,
Some of the references are a bit vague but I got the idea of Varactor triplers, enough to get some resemblance of order in my surplus NEC 3 stage varactor multiplier !! Ive got it multiplying to 1296 from 48 mhz . Powered by the old HP608D running flatout at +4 dbm, I'm getting some output on ?? from the last varactor(3rd) Nothing in my shack to measure anything over 300 mhz as yet, so New years resolution is a to build a 400 mhZ plus wavemeter as per UHF Compendium by K Weiner. I've yet to find out how to design and build solid striplines for 1296mhz ( not PCB type) Know anything on these ? Most of the data available is for the PCB type!.
Thanks for your help :)
Brian VK4QB
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I'm spoilt. I just connect up the spec-an and a twiddle her and a tap there and ... aaarh ! I'll take that one... oh look... that's an interesting harmonic on 32GHz :D

From an over simplistic point of view, it's just a matter of loading and matching each side of the varactor circuit.
You can also try multiplying with 1N914's, it's amazing what even an LED can do :)