Adelaide Microwave Exercise Day: 13th Nov 2011

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Adelaide Microwave Exercise Day: 13th Nov 2011

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi all

In keeping with the current theme, a microwave activity day has been organised for 13th November in Adelaide and surrounding areas.
The purpose is to provide an opportunity for operators to:
(a) test their microwave gear prior to the upcoming Spring VHF/UHF field day,
(b) evaluate potential field day sites and
(c) have some fun :D
There are currently 11 operators that have indicated their intention to participate. All are welcome to join in.
Liaison will be via VK5ROC repeater and VK Logger.
Operations will commence at 11am Adelaide time (0030Z). This is to give field stations time to get to their sites and set up.
All microwave bands from 1.3GHz to 24GHz will be active.

Iain - VK5ZD
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Re: Adelaide Microwave Exercise Day: 13th Nov 2011

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi all

I've just got back from a fairly successful day out. There were 12 stations on air in total with operations ranging from 1296MHz to 24GHz. We had a wide selection of weather during the day with rain and a somewhat spectacular lightning show at first changing to scorching sun later in the afternoon. The only constant was the strong wind, which put a fair strain on the mast supporting the 10GHz dish. My thanks to Lou, VK3ALB, for his assistance during the day. An extra set of hands helps a lot.
amad02.jpg
The day was not without its problems; my 2.4GHz transverter stopped transmitting, the 5.7GHz transverter isn't receiving and one of the power supplies failed, so I've got a few things to sort out before the field day.

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

G'day Iain,

I hope Lou didn't reveal too many of our FD secrets at all... :D

Glad to hear you guys had a great day out.

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi all

I was out checking the gear on the SA Microwave Day.

Most things worked well but I found that I had a bad antenna cable on the 1296 gear (lossy/radiating distorting antenna performance.) Also there seemed to be no TX on 5.7 Ghz. The new 24 Ghz system managed to hear Iain VK5ZD quite well at 40 Kms away but he was unable to hear me. Probably something to do with the 100 microwatt output level!! Further testing required there and more work on the high power 24 Ghz transverter.

I am also developing a rapid deployment arrangement for rover work. All antennas are attached to the car and connected so minimal work is needed when reaching a site. Some issues were noted but not unexpected. I need to do a trial with a rotator fitted.

Here's a couple of photos.
Antenna array mounted on the van. 24 Ghz on the tripod
Antenna array mounted on the van. 24 Ghz on the tripod
Another view
Another view
On the van roof is Met balloon and Project Horus antennas on an Az/El mount. I did double duty on the day by also tracking and uploading Horus telemetry while doing the microwave tests, following balloon progress on the van computer.

Like Iain's site I was exposed to high winds and the odd shower. No real problems as the setup is pretty weather proof. I ended up a bit dehydrated though....did not take enough cool drinks. A few things to fix before the field day but nothing too serious. I hope we get everyone in the field on the day. More and more microwave gear being built and used in SA is really encouraging and showcasing some of the more technical aspects of our hobby.

Carting all this stuff about has some drawbacks. I was pulled over by the police a couple of days ago. Apparently I was triggering the Radar Detector Detector that is part of modern speed detecting equipment. I had to do a bit of fast talking and the car was checked to see if I had any clandestine stuff. The copper did not know what to make of all the gear on board and eventually gave up, accepting my explanation about what may have triggered the detector. Having a 24 Ghz system built from an old police radar got a some attention too!!

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

Absolute Champagne all 'round, Tim!! Nice work :lol:
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK5BJE
Forum Novice

Post by VK5BJE »

Hi Iain and Tim
It was good to have a contact with you guys yesterday on 23cm FM.
I also checked out the 23cm FM repeater operating in test mode and linked Dstar repeaters VK5RWM A to VK5RWM C. So we know that the 23 cm module is working.
John VK5BJE
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi

Yesterday we held another successful microwave testing day. Seven stations participated (three at each of two sites plus one home station) with the aim of testing equipment in the field prior to the upcoming Spring VHF/UHF Field Day contest. It's useful to be able to compare equipment side-by-side with someone else to highlight any deficiencies in the performance. I'm pleased to report that everything worked well.
Keith (VK5OQ) on the left and Andy (VK5LA) working on 10GHz
Keith (VK5OQ) on the left and Andy (VK5LA) working on 10GHz
Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD