Mounting a 6m yagi on same boom as HF tribander

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

Mounting a 6m yagi on same boom as HF tribander

Post by VK4WDM »

Has anyone ever tried mounting a 6m yagi on the same boom as an HF yagi? HF elements above the boom, 6m elements below, with separate feeds. Yes, there would be interaction, but how significant?

Yep, I have been on that dream-weed again :D

VK4WDM
VK7DB

Re: Mounting a 6m yagi on same boom as HF tribander

Post by VK7DB »

You could model it and see what happens.. I use MMANA.
VK4TS

Post by VK4TS »

Sometime ago on these forums we spoke of a dual ten / 6 M design - it was ten metres with a passive element in front of the director - I built one of these for a field day and it worked fine - 3 elements on 10 and 4 on 6M refer

http://www.dk7zb.org/start1.htm

In the latest QST there was an article using the same techniques with a tri-bander - NB there is only one feedline on the tribander -
VK7DX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7DX »

G'day Wayne
VK2QO is building a hf yagi with a 6m delta loop on top.Sounds like a good idea to me.It shouldnt have as much interaction hopefully.

cheers,Frank.
YU7EF
Forum Novice

Post by YU7EF »

That can be done but not wothout additional tweaking of both antennas - simple adding 6m elements would not
work well and interaction is huge so don't expect too much from such construction

Even with additional optimization specifications on 6m will not be as good as they are on a mono band antenna

73, Pop, YU7EF
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Ah, a word from the expert! Nice to hear from you Pop! :D

We have a crazy problem here in many parts of VK now - an antenna height limit of only ten metres and often only a single antenna mast per property. This makes it very difficult to have HF and VHF beams that have enough height to work ok. :(

Wayne VK4WDM
YU7EF
Forum Novice

Post by YU7EF »

Wayne I did understand what was your problem and lately many people are thinking same
way since more and more countries put such limitations to ham radio operators :(
Fortunately, here still no such restrictions so I can have as many antenna mast's as I can
but than I have another problem - who can pay for that ...

Looks like multi band antennas of old compromised type will be wanted yet again even
though they are far worse performers and usually cost a fortune

GL & hope you will find some good solution to problem

73, Pop, YU7EF
VK4ERQ

Post by VK4ERQ »

Have a look at the Sept. 2011 issue of QST, p 40. Good article shows you how to do it very simply by just using 3 pieces of Al tubing and some clamps!!

Have fun!

Lloyd
VK4ERQ
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Why not mount them both at 45 degrees which would put each one at 90 degrees to the other with minimum interaction. It might look a bit strange but it should not effect the operation one little bit.

David