VHF/UHF Usage

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc

How many QSO's do you have on UHF 70cm each week?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:25 pm

0-3 QSO's a Week
100%
3-6 QSO's a week
No votes

Total votes: 3

VK7HH
Forum Diehard

VHF/UHF Usage

Post by VK7HH »

I have been listening to VHF/UHF signals here in Southern Tasmania for about half a year now and I have noticed that some of our repeaters are not being used as much as they should be. Down here we have links to nearly all around the state, we have 2 UHF repeaters up in the North end of the state here and they get used, a bit, but not as much as 2m. We also have 3 2m Repeaters in the North East alone, but two of them hardly get any traffic at all. It seems that the UHF/some VHF repeaters, have "gone quite". I don't know what it is like in your area, you may want to comment? We have currently 5 VHF repeaters active in the Hobart Area Alone!! Now all of them get a fair go, but we have only one UHF repeater which gets used hardly at all. I would like others to express their opinions and to let me know how much their local repeaters get used.
As a Amateur down here is Tassie says "Use them or lose them, let's not lose them, let's use them.

73's Thanks for reading
Hayden VK7HAY
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Hayden

I only have SSB antenna up for 70cm at present. 70cm verticals are down for the time being.

I could hear quite a bit of the repeaters about VK3 and VK5, but they were usually much less used than 2m. Its a bit funny considering antennas are much smaller on 70cm rather than 2m. You would think more people would work on 70cm.