Two sound cards on one computer?

VK2KRR

Two sound cards on one computer?

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi all,

Just wondering, rather than me having to pull cord from one rig to another when changing bands for sound input to computer, is it possible to run two soundcards and have, for example, two sessions of Spec Lab running, one on each card ??

I'd like to be able to monitor VHF/UHF and HF separately.

Or do I need two separate computers ?
VK2GOM

Re: Two sound cards on one computer?

Post by VK2GOM »

No, you can do two cards.

I do on my laptop - I use the inbuilt card, and an external USB one.

73 - Rob VK2GOM /G0MOH
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

OK, so can u run two sessions on Spec Lab at once and direct them as to which sound card to be taking the audio from ?

What is model USB sound card do u use ?
VK5ALX
Forum Novice

Post by VK5ALX »

. MMSSTV is a good example because all you get is a bunch of numbers to select the soundcard and I am still buggered as to which is which.
Time to grab a later version. You can now select soundcard by name and it remembers it.

Alex / VK5ALX
VK6DZ

Post by VK6DZ »

You can run two sessions of Speclab at the same time, and you can have different settings on each session and it remembers the settings upon the next start up, very clever, not many other programs do this.

I run 3 usb sound cards on one computer, with 3 transceivers, only cheep ebay ones at that and don't have too many problems
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Wow, I was wondering how u did that Derek!

So an external USB sound card is the go then ?

Any brand/type recommendations ?
VK6DZ

Post by VK6DZ »

USB sound card.jpg
USB sound card.jpg (2.79 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
I use these ones, available on fleabay, from a number of vendors for around $2.00 including postage. Just do a search for USB sound card...

I would suggest buying a few as I have had problems with dry solder joints but at the price not complaining and they are quite easy to fix so far.

I would also suggest buying from different vendors to try and get different names on the sound cards, then the computer doesn't get so confused with a number of cards all the same name
VK1HW
Forum Novice

Post by VK1HW »

I run two signalinks (usb sound), the onboard sound and an old PCI Soundblaster (96k). I can't get the SB working under Win7 (64) but have no problems addressing the card in Linux. Have not played with SpecLab? Have to google it.

Cheers,
Hauke