Kenwood TS-2000

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK4HMW

Kenwood TS-2000

Post by VK4HMW »

Im looking at maybe buying a Kenwood TS-2000 has anybody had any bad experience with this radio I hear some different coments been tosted about mostly good but some bad as they seem to be good value with what I want to pay Andrews are selling for about $1995.00 inc post would love to hear from anybody on what you think. 73s Mark VK4HMW.[/color]
VK3GK
Forum Novice

Re: Kenwood TS-2000

Post by VK3GK »

I bought a used one for $1350, ts2000 not X.
an early model, deaf VHF/UHF compared to a 706/910H but still OK, havent modded the preamp yet.
Software is upgradable across all models.
So an early one with latest s/w is close to the latest version radio.
regards Lee
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

From what I have read (I don't own one) there are multiple oscillator 'birdies' than can make satellite and/or VHF/UHF operation a bit difficult.

If you can, find something like a Peter Hart RSGB review on it, or the ARRL labs review.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK4HMW

Post by VK4HMW »

VK3GK wrote:I bought a used one for $1350, ts2000 not X.
an early model, deaf VHF/UHF compared to a 706/910H but still OK, havent modded the preamp yet.
Software is upgradable across all models.
So an early one with latest s/w is close to the latest version radio.
regards Lee
Thanks Lee its hard to know what to think you hear so many different stories about the radio its got what I wont I just sold my IC-706 because of a financial reason which I was`nt happy about one bit but I dont need a mobile rig really the TS-2000 has what I need because my old TS-680 is getting alittle tierd these days with a few issues to I think its pot luck these days with what you end up with a good one or a lemon or just toss a coin I guess who knows....Cheers 73s Mark VK4HMW
VK4HMW

Post by VK4HMW »

VK2GOM wrote:From what I have read (I don't own one) there are multiple oscillator 'birdies' than can make satellite and/or VHF/UHF operation a bit difficult.

If you can, find something like a Peter Hart RSGB review on it, or the ARRL labs review.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
Thanks for your reply Rob and yes I heard many good and some bad issues with the radio who knows but what radio dosnt have some bad reports I think its just pot luck these days even though you dont want to get the crook one oh well I will keep t5hinking about it I guess....Cheers Mark VK4HMW
VK5MK
Forum Novice

Post by VK5MK »

I purchased a T22000X approx 2 years ago now. I have had no trouble with it at all and am extremely happy with it's performance. I have also downloaded the memory management software from the Kenwood Australia site & this has proven to be very useful.

If you are remotely contemplating using 23cm one day the 'X' option is well worth considering. It may well pay to have this instaled at purchase unless you are confident with this type of modification.

Cheers,
Mark 8)
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

I upgraded my TS-2000 to "x" and am very happy with the performance

It probably would benefit from a preamp on 2 and 70 if using barefoot or with amplifier with no pre-amp as background noise level is low.

Im using mine on CW SSB and digi with a Signalink plugged into the 13 pin accessory socked which makes the operation seamless on switching between modes.

Very robust too and survived two trips to Norfolk VK9NA

Kevin VK4UH
Brisbane
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

I'll add my 2c worth as well..

I've owned my TS-2000 for about 3 months now, upgraded from a older TS-140.

The first thing I noticed on the TS-2000 was the filters, both the DSP and how imune to QRM it is compared to the TS-140 (noting the TS-140 is about 20 years older!!), on the TS-140 I had S7 of noise on 80 and 40m, but on the TS-2000 that has gone down to S2-S3 of noise while the received signals (QSO's etc) are the same and at times a touch stronger.

I've found the TS-2000 to have great rx and tx audio. Having the 100w on HF, 6m and 2m is nice, 50w on 70cm is enough to do everything I want.

It interfaces to the PC very easily, and most HAM related software will run with the TS-2000 with only a few minor changes (although I'm still yet to get MixW to tx - see my other thread!!).

If I had one gripe about the TS-2000 it would be the one birdie on one of the Sat downlink freq, but I simply work other Sats.

Even though the TS-2000 has many many settings, you'll find that once you've set the radio up you won't need to change them often, but they are there if you wish to customise things - better to have the option to change things rather than not have the option at all...

I hope that helps :)
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

What is your primary use for the radio going to be? HF? VHF/UHF?

By all accounts, it's HF performance is quite good. VHF/UHF is another matter. Looking at some of the testing that has been done on it, it doesn't handle strong signals (in and out of band) terribly well on 2m/70cm.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4ZEJ
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ZEJ »

Hi All,

Have owned the TS2000x now for about 3mths and have just started putting up beams to work on 2/70/23. Was thinking of getting some masthead preamps and was wondering if other owns think they are necessary. If so what type is best suited for use. Antenna types are 13el on 2m, 19el on 70cm and possible 35-40el on 23cm after I build it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance given.

Eddie - VK4EDD
VK4JAM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4JAM »

Hi Mark,
I have had a TS-2000x as my main radio HF/VHF/UHF for three years.
I could not be happier with the radio - Linked in with Ham Radio Deluxe you have a great piece of kit that will handle digital modes as well.
I purchased mine from http://www.radios.net.au/ - great service and very competitive on price.
Andrew