IC-7000 TX problem on digital modes

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

IC-7000 TX problem on digital modes

Post by VK3DXE »

I wonder if anybody else here is running digital modes with their IC-7000?

The problem I'm experiencing is that WSJT and other control software switch the rig to TX automatically with no issues on HF/6m, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to automatically switch to TX on 2m and 70cm.

I have played around with DTS and DTR settings in software, tried various things in the rig menus, etc. but still no luck on 2m/70cm. Currently I'm having to manually switch to TX on these bands by holding the mic button in during my TX time.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it a generic issue with the IC-7000 or is mine just broken?

I run at LDg AT-7000 auto tuner on HF/6m and have disconnected that in case it was causing any issues, but that has made no difference.

The computer interface cable is from XGGCOM in the UK.

I have just got a USB to serial adaptor for my netbook, so I will give things a shot on the netbook later tonight to make sure it's not a problem with my computer, although I don't expect that to make any difference.

Any help with this would be muchly appreciated.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Re: IC-7000 TX problem on digital modes

Post by VK3AUU »

I don't have the book for the 7000 but the 706 uses pin3 on the ACC for Hsend (HF & 50)and pin7 for Vsend (144 and 432). I think the 7000 is the same.

David
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

I use(d) a 7000 on 2m WSPR but just via the mic input from the laptop speaker output via a resistor pad and cheated by using the 7000's VOX function.

The 7000 was found to be not stable enough for WSPR on 144MHz with a drift of (up to) 17Hz during a transmit cycle...this surprises me as the 7000 is supposed to have a TCXO (but it's probably within specification). This drift is not always the same amount and is not determined by RF Output level, I tried the rig barefoot at 10-20W and at 1-2W driving an amplifier to 10-20W with no difference in drift.

Another thing to note with the 7000 - if you use pin 7 of the Accessory Socket for PTT Control of an external amplifier only the front panel microphone socket will work for PTT. The rear panel Microphone Socket will not key the Pin 7 VSEND line....dunno why !

Other than that I find the IC-7000 to be a great little rig, put in second place recently (on HF/6m at least) by my shiny new IC-7600.

Your IC-7000 may not drift as much as mine, if so we can organise a swap.... :D

EDIT:- David, VK3AUU is correct with his comments on the VSEND pins.
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

OK, thanks for the quick responses gents.

I'll see what info I can get on my interface and go from there.

In the meantime, if anybody can help me work out how to get the thing going with my interface, I'll be forever (well, for a long time anyway :wink: ) indebted.

And Bill, I saw the comments re your drift a while back, must check mine at some stage soon to see if it is a common problem with the 7000.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

The quick and dirty way I use with the 706 is to take the audio from one of the computer speakers which also has a gain control, to a headphone which is taped to a second microphone which is plugged into the rear socket. I then use the VOX to turn the Tx on.

David
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

The 706 also has a bit of a drift problem which was considerably reduced by sticking a small muffin fan underneath. That has now been replaced by a Thunderbolt reflock system by courtesy of Andrew VK3OE.

David
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

David, the 7000 manual shows pins 3 & 7 connecting to a common "MSEND" line. Do you think I'd be ok to simply bridge the two pins, or am I asking for trouble?

Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Thought I'd post a bit of a follow-up on my problem now I've finally got around to fixing it. I finally managed to find one of my soldering irons today while digging through my storage unit for camping gear for the holidays.

I pulled the plug apart to find that pin 7 wasn't connected on my XGGcom interface. It was a simple matter of bridging pins 3 & 7, et voila!, it now works as it should.

I don't know whether mine was a Friday arvo special, but at least now I can operate digital modes on 2m & 70cm without having to manually switch to TX. Should make things a lot less stressful during those early morning MS and EME sessions, especially if I've had a couple of vinos the night before. :D

Thanks to David and Bill for your assistance. Sometimes we overlook the most obvious things with problems like this.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK1HW
Forum Novice

Post by VK1HW »

Page 131 IC-7000 Instruction Manual show an easy way to solve this issue.
SET MODE Item 20
VSEND Select:

ON == VSEND for VHF/UHF and HSEND for HF & 6m

UHF only == VSEND for UHF and VHF/HF & 6m

OFF == VSEND not used and HSEND for all bands.

Simple.

Sad to hear that the IC-7000 drifts that much, I was hopping to use it during mobile digital operations. Maybe an additional fan would help.

73's
VK1HW
Hauke
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Thanks Hauke, I'll have a look at that when I get a few spare minutes and the brain is clear.

As for the drift issue, I commented on that in anotherthread. Here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9633&p=16374&hilit=ic7000#p16374

I've found it to be pretty good, the 5Hz variation could be the accumulation of drift at both ends.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv