WSPR 2m frequency ??

WSPR discussion
VK2KRR

WSPR 2m frequency ??

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi all,
As you know we have been testing WSPR with a dial frequency of 144.144 MHz. It has been suggested that time has come to move this to a more permanent spot.
I have a had a chat to Rex VK7MO and Rex has posed question to John VK3KM on WIA technical advisory committee.

We think it would be best to follow the International standard frequency for WSPR on 2m of 144.489000 MHz dial freq. Which means transmission would occur on 144.490500 +- 100Hz.

This way it lines up with other stations across the world using WSPR. Not that we will get international WSPR DX but if everyone is on the same frequency there is more chance of finding anything unusual.

Does anyone have a problems with moving to the standard 144.489 dial freq? ? any concerns etc? comments?
Last edited by VK2KRR on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK4YEH

Re: WSPR 2m frequency ??

Post by VK4YEH »

No problem to me Leigh

Will follow wherever and join in when I can.

Tim
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

OK so no dramas. Im a little concerned about my antenna SWR at 144.490 but hopefully it will be OK.

Im keen to be on the international frequency, then will be on same freq as other operators around the world using WSPR on 2m.

I think we may as well cut over in the morning (Thursday) and see how it goes.

So it will be the international WSPR freq for 2m (the WSPR default freq)

DiAL - 144.489000

TX - 144.490500 (+or- 100 Hz - 144.490400 to 144.490600)
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Ive cut over now to the international freq, SWR still reported as zero on the PA SWR meter so it should be OK.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

When people cut over to the international freq, make sure u remeber to change your Dial and TX freq on the program so it uploads correct info to the WSPR server.
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

VK4 Hams - where are you?

very slim pickings on 2m wspr in VK4. Phil VK4FIL and I seem to be the only wspr'ers here.

Tim

I take it back ....

David VK4KSY is also out there wspr'ing tonight
Last edited by VK4YEH on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Tim

It would be a fantastic experiment to get some JA stations active and beam at each other looking for TEP.
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

Yes Leigh what a good idea. I'll have to get my beam up this weekend I think, 2m has never been as interesting for us mere mortals with basic equipment and antennas.

No offence meant to the 2m diehards by the way

Tim
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

No your right a lot of people have said its very very interesting
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

One of the things Inoticed straight away on 2m wspr compared to HF wspr is the various "distortions" of traces. Mostly on HF they are more or less horizontal, and where they are not, usually the operator can tell us why if he is on chat.

On 2m however, many of them are decidedly "banana" shaped, either upwards or downwards and some seem to to split part way across the 2 minute cycle.

I am wondering if what I am seeing is a result of reflections off, for example, aircraft?

recent screen capture attached

Tim
Attachments
2m wspr jan 29
2m wspr jan 29
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Tim,

Im by no means an Aircraft reflection expert, but yes they look like Aircraft reflections to me. You wont be able to decode them unless the reflection doesn't drift to much during the 2 mins.
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

Yes Leigh no decodes of the odd ones, not that I expected to .......

Another interesting - but not unexpected - thing I am finding is the variation in rx of Phil VK4FIL. He is about 30km from me as the crow flies, and Mt Cootha is in between us, probably one third of the distance from me to him. His signals have varied from bright horizontal traces through to distorted unreadable, through to nothing at all. It is interesting - to me at least who has little experience with 2m other than fm - just how much variation there is across a day.

Phil, if you are reading this, perhaps you could post what antenna you are using. Here I am using a vertical with a 2m gain of 6dB, until I get the beam up. Unfortunately even then the best paths from here will be W, N and E, as I am on the north side of a hill.

Tim
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi

It could also be the transmitter. I first tried WSPR on 2m a week ago and I was told that my Tx frequency was drifting. I therefore did some checking. My IC-7400 (which I was using at the time) drifts up about 15Hz during the first 5 seconds or so of the transmission. Over the next 2 minutes it move down by about 30Hz, finishing 15Hz below the starting frequency. My FT-897 moves down by about 20Hz during a 2 minute transmission. The output power setting makes little difference (the drift on the IC-7400 is actually slightly less on full power). I've therefore postponed further WSPR transmissions until the problem is resolved.

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK5AW

Post by VK5AW »

Can someone confirm the 2M freq please? I saw reference to the standard or default freq which is 144.488 on my version, yet 144.489 is quoted. So where do I set my Tx dial? I am listening on 144.488 cos thats where it defaults to. Further research causes more confusion!
Thanks, Adrian
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Adrian,

The dial freq should be 144.489 MHz
VK4KSY
Forum Novice

Post by VK4KSY »

Good evening Adrian VK5AW
My WSPR programme advise is RX 144.489 and TX 144.490409. That is the WSPR programme and not WSPR in WSJT7. I have not had a RX report on it yet, so it's a very quiet wisper. :lol:
Regards VK4KSY
VK5AW

Post by VK5AW »

Thanks for that info, it's much appreciated!
I will try that tonite.