New on 50

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2GOM

Re: New on 50

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Lawrence,

I used 70cm since the noise was very broadband, and 70cm allowed me to use a fair length yagi and still be hand portable, and to allow good pinpointing with a much tighter beamwidth.

I have a video on the forum here showing it in use, and when pointing at the pole apparatus in question, the noise ramps right up unmistakably.

It's a shame the electricity company rep visited when you couldn't demonstrate the noise to him. Now it will be a diplomatic exercise to keep them onto the problem, and them not write it off as 'no fault found'.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
ZL1LDS

Post by ZL1LDS »

HI Rob Thanks for advise, I was just going to use a short yagi, but will make a longer one, probably make a LFA. They work very well for me. Trees did not get cut this week :evil: , but weather was quite bad so will see next week.I will get cracking with the yagi in the morning. Keep you updated... 73 Lawrence :)
ZL4DK
Forum Novice

Post by ZL4DK »

Lawrence,

Just a couple of comments that may help. Noisy insulators usually change after rain (either become quieter or noisier). The problem may be associated with the underground high voltage cable Tee off. These cables are frequently protected by lightning arrestors which look much like insulators but are usualy not involved in providing mechanical support to anything and have a earthwire connected to the base. I have had several instances where even very new lightning arrestors have been excessively noisy. If there are no lightning arrestors it is likely the problem may be with the cable termination either at the pole or the cable termination inside the ground mounted transformer. HV cable is like coax and doesn't radiate much itself but carries noise to overhead lines that can radiate.

Keep working with the local lines company. They do want to be good neighbours and if there is a problem it generally is an indication that something is going to go bang at some stage in the future which will cost them more to repair under urgency.

Regards
David
ZL1LDS

Post by ZL1LDS »

Hi David, great stuff, the pole has 3 brown like insulators with a earth wire at the bottom. Yes the pole in question as mentioned feeds a remote transformer via fuses and UG cable down the way. The noise started intermittantly when the wind blew, but later this did not matter, then any odd day as well, then finaly all the time. I will talk to them after the branches are cut as I thing this is contributing as well. I will mention these other possibilities as well the need to look at. Thanks again David 73