USB<>COM Port adapters?

VK4XA
Frequent Poster

Re: USB<>COM Port adapters?

Post by VK4XA »

Hi Adam,

Like a few others in here, I have tried a few different USB > RS232 adaptors and the only one I've had consistant results with is the ATEN UC-232a.
They work a treat here controlling my Rigblaster Pro AND my FT847 plus other stuff.
Jeff Cochrane
VK4XA
East Innisfail, Queensland
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Try this link. Wildcard-innovations sell one that works. The Keyspan.
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/ ... cribe.html

Cheers
Nev
VK3FKRK

Post by VK3FKRK »

hi all i have a ic 706 m2g has anyone tryed the cv17 usb cable from the internet?would this be better them a usb to com port adapter?
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Like a few others in here, I have tried a few different USB > RS232 adaptors and the only one I've had consistant results with is the ATEN UC-232a.
They work a treat here controlling my Rigblaster Pro AND my FT847 plus other stuff.

Hi Jeff, I am just in the process of installing the same setup after upgrading from the Rigblaster Nomic to the Pro. I wish I had seen your post before I brought a Digitech XC4834 yesterday. I hope it works. if not I will take your advice and buy the Aten.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3FKRK wrote:hi all i have a ic 706 m2g has anyone tryed the cv17 usb cable from the internet?would this be better them a usb to com port adapter?
No. It will allow you to control functions & programming, but no good for digital modes as it won't do the audio. I have one that I paid <$10 for, but never use it. For the IC-7000 I use an xggcom interface and a Ritmo(?) usb<>com port adaptor which runs a Prolific chipset. I got the adaptor from MSY in Melbourne. Works well and no noise on vhf/uhf.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4YOI

Post by VK4YOI »

Hi all

I have some information to share, I have been attempting to use a CP2102 based USB to RS 232 adaptor marketed by Sure Electronics via eBay.

The thing works a treat on communication with packet controllers etc, using the windows terminal program.

I have been chasing an adaptor where the handshaking, (RTS and DTR) works seamlessly. The application is applying MixW (or similar) to older rigs using RTS for PTT rather than a CAT request for PTT.

Having got the thing a week or so ago and have been stuffing about with it since, what I have found is the XP driver seems to talk to the CP2102 chip and it creates an output corrolated to the software request for RTS (and DTR for that matter). However the output from the CP2102 makes its way through an SP3243 where it refuses to emerge on pin 7 of ist DB9 connector.

At this stage I have email the supplier (around midnight last night) and am waiting a response.

If anyone has had any experiance with getting the handshaking to work on any of the available adaptors I would appreciate a tip.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK3FKRK wrote:hi all i have a ic 706 m2g has anyone tryed the cv17 usb cable from the internet?would this be better them a usb to com port adapter?
I assume you mean the CT17 cables available on eBay. I have one for my IC910H and it works well. Cheaper than the original CI-V CT-17 and USB already. For the prices on eBay it's worth trying out. In fact I bought a couple of them so I have a spare in my laptop bag should I ever need it. At less than $10 it's worth just getting one to try.

I use mine with Ham Radio Deluxe.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK6TU
Forum Novice

Post by VK6TU »

Hello all,
Re com port adapters, I have found that the Targus USB To Serial Adaptor (PA088U) are very reliable, have tried others cheap ones but found the stopped working or just lost the connection at random, have used the Targus on my rotator controller for at least 1 year with no problems.

I also use 2 x USB CI-V CAT INTERFACE CABLE for ICOM for my IC-7400, IC-910H and have used them with the IC-706, with no problems interfacing to HRD
Look at http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

73 from Michael
VK6BHY
NWWA
VK3AIF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AIF »

G'day all,

I've been using an ATEN UC-232A for a few years and so far it has worked flawlessly on everything I have pointed it at using both LINUX and XP. It works fine with my Magellan GPS and OZI explorer, Datasend, DataRender and ezygps plus a few others. I have used it with data acquisition hardware/ software plus icom radios amongst other stuff so I have had no need to try anything else.

It was PnP on the Linux box but I think I had to install drivers on window$, not sure on that one? I did however purchase a Magellan to USB cable that also powered the GPS last year off Ebay prior to heading off across the Canning Stock Route and that also worked flawlessly but I took the Aten along just in case.

I hope that is of some help to everyone considering a com to USB adapter?

Dave
VK3NJ

Post by VK3NJ »

I must of tried over a dozen different usb-232 adaptors in all price ranges, some would not work at all, others did but "dropped out" at random. As I use them for a critical application it just wasnt worth the risk so I purchased (and supplied my clients who do the work themselves) with Panasonic "Tough Book" notebooks with a proper RS-232 port.

(Some $100K + machinery is still being made with RS-232 ports for diagnostics and ECU programming only)

I guess it depends on what the task is, if its hobby work any of the better adaptors should be ok, but for critical apps I will stick with the native ports