AD9850 DDS Chip, Micro Controller needed

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK3ZFS

AD9850 DDS Chip, Micro Controller needed

Post by VK3ZFS »

Picked up a AD9850 DDS module on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :MEBIDX:IT
Have managed to interface it to my PC LPT port works ok
I got a old Codan Radio Marine Radio want to use it on AM, so need a simple embedded microcontroller to allow freq control of the DDS module, just need 8 spot freqs, looking for a basic Micro controller?
VK4YOI

Re: AD9850 DDS Chip, Micro Controller needed

Post by VK4YOI »

Hi

Have a look at the Basic Stamp range, there may be one to suit your needs. In my experience they are the simplest for a one off project, if you need is a few spot frequencies this could do you. Don't expect too much out of these devices, that may upset a few readers. :P

If you want a little more computing power, speed, EEPROM and some more I/O's, one of the Microchip range may be the go, lots of goodies on their web site. Programming my require a modest investment, have a look on ebay or microchip sites for options, there are lots of them. The hardware is not hard to get going, I found the programming software requires a bit of personal application :wink: .

Let us know how you get on.

Marty
VK4YOI
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

Minikits has a DDS kit with PIC software that may be adapatable to your needs.
http://www.minikits.com.au/kits6.html#eme170
VK3ZFS

Post by VK3ZFS »

After doing some research, I found some code for a basic stamp to control DDS chip, PICAXE Basic can use same code, ordered the new PICAXE chip 18M2 form the UK posted for $6.50 :), will prog up a look up table for the freq setting and clock out data to DDS chip.
Will connect up to the channel switch of the Codan radio to select channels, as only need 8 imputs and 3 outputs the PICAXE 18M2 is ideal :)