solid state sequencers

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK3WE
Forum Novice

solid state sequencers

Post by VK3WE »

Hi all,

I'm currently using a DEMI sequencer which uses relays to switch. Whilst relays a generally reliable I'm always a little nervous every time the the sequencer is in operation when trying to protect expensive pre-amps. Anyone know of any "solid state" sequencer? or is this not really an issue?

maybe I should stop worrying?

thanks all,
de Rhett VK3VHF
VK2KRR

Re: solid state sequencers

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Rhett

I have 2 sequencers I got for my 2 & 70 amps which I found I didn't require. I think I got them from SSB Electronics, im not sure. But if your interested in some more info let me know.
VK4CDI
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CDI »

Hi Rhett
I use the N6CA (ARRL?) sequencers. Easy to build and parts readily available. Uses switching transistors to operate preamps/amps/coax relays. Haven't lost a GaAsFET since I started using them.

Cheers
Phil VK4CDI
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

VK3VHF wrote:Hi all,

I'm currently using a DEMI sequencer which uses relays to switch. Whilst relays a generally reliable I'm always a little nervous every time the the sequencer is in operation when trying to protect expensive pre-amps. Anyone know of any "solid state" sequencer? or is this not really an issue?

maybe I should stop worrying?

thanks all,
de Rhett VK3VHF
I built my own version of the DEM sequencer - but changed the components a little to allow easier pcb layout. i.e. I used dual opamps and uln2003 relay driver ic. I have found mine very reliable to date - It really is a simple circuit that just works. Mine is all smd construction together with smd relays - I used omron 12v dpdt smd types that had good specs - I havent measured the timing but would guess about .5 sec to go thru complete sequence. I like to versatility of the design i.e. with up to 4 dpdt relays that are sequenced and can be NO, NC relative to either gnd or supply.
Cheap to build too!
Paul vk4apn
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

vk4apn wrote:...Mine is all smd construction together with smd relays - I used omron 12v dpdt smd types that had good specs...
I wonder how good the isolation is, given the compact nature of these relays?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

VK4CP wrote:
vk4apn wrote:...Mine is all smd construction together with smd relays - I used omron 12v dpdt smd types that had good specs...
I wonder how good the isolation is, given the compact nature of these relays?
The relays are only switching relatively small dc voltages or shorting to deck or supply? - well within their specs. Not sure what you mean by "isolation" as the sequencer just supplies dc or zip - as required to my masthead mounted coaxial relays (tohtsu cx120p pcb mounted) and easily changable preamp. If I ever use to switch mains equip will use onboard relay to switch mains rated relay .

Do you think there could be a problem using these smd relays? Would be interested to know.

Thanks

paul vk4apn