wierd qrm problem

Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
VK4YEH

wierd qrm problem

Post by VK4YEH »

Guys

Over the last four days I have experienced a strange qrm problem in many hf bands ,that has precluded me from using weak signal software such as wspr.

I have established that it is not the fridge, aircon, radio power supply, tuner, printer, monitor(s), wifes computer, computer power supplies, ceiling fans, TV, oven, hot water cylinder, solar inverter etc etc - at least not in my house. In short I have tried all possible combinations of on/off to try to isolate the problem.

Yesterday evening it suddenly stopped which suggests to me that it is external to our house - correct me if I am wrong please.

So, the real question here is if/when it happens again what is the best way to filter it out. On my hf rig it certainly sounds like a 50Hz hum but spectrum-wise it is regular peaks right across the 15 - 40 bands at least ( they are the only ones I use)

Tonight, hf bliss is upon me again, thank goodness

any filtering advice will be greatfully received by me - and my xyl who is tired of me complaining about the noisy bands, and the so-and-sos that are disrupting my hobby.

Thanks

Tim
VK2GOM

Re: wierd qrm problem

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Tim,

Time to go walkabout with a UHF yagi and handheld on AM and try and locate it.

My noise was powerpole noise, which I reported and was (eventually) fixed. That noise used to come and go. Bad one minute, clear as a bell the next.

Hopefully you can identify the source - that's half the exercise!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

I suspected as much Rob......

It may well be too infrequent to actually identify, but next time I see it, I'll certainly have a look

Tim
VK4ACN
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ACN »

Check out the neighbors. I was getting horrendous qrm on hf, mainly on 20m. Lasted nearly 2 yrs. Made 20m unusable. I thought it was the optus pole outside my house. Turns out it wasnt. Neighbors 2 houses down, moved, 6 months ago and qrm stopped. Still dont know what they had on, but computer related i think. My guess is maybe router or even networking over power. Not sure.

Cheers
Wayne
VK4ACN