70cm/2m SSB and FM operations from a townhouse

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK3WAM

70cm/2m SSB and FM operations from a townhouse

Post by VK3WAM »

Hi all,

I live in a two story townhouse with only a small backyard. It has adjoining walls with two other townhouses in the same development. Over the small backyard there are units nearby.

Given this environment, and given that there are about 4 or so TV antennas within a 10 meter radius of the townhouse. I am also restricted to erecting on the southern side only.

I have two practical options. Erect a mast about 3 metres away from my own TV mast, or put something on top of the TV mast.

I don't think it will be practical to install a rotor, so the antenna(s) will need to be ommi-directional in the horizontal plane.

Given I want to do SSB/CW needing horizontal polorisation and FM needing vertical polorisation, I am expecting to need to install two devices which would be dual band 2m/70cm.

Any points of advice?

73's, Wayne VK3FOAB
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Re: 70cm/2m SSB and FM operations from a townhouse

Post by VK3DXE »

First question: Are you renting or do you own? Obviously this will affect the "permanency" of any solution.

I used to live just down the other side of Blackburn Rd many years ago and seem to remember we had reasonable TV reception, so overloading TV front ends should hopefully be not too much of an issue. If it is, then you can install stub filters anyway.

Personally, I'd probably go for a reasonable sized yagi on 2m and 70cm. You can run a dual band vertical if you think you need it. Even a smallish yagi or two on a small rotator should do the trick for you.

If you own the property, then you can probably get away with a more substantial installation - A-Frame rooftop tower (they make some pretty small ones) or a pipe/mast mounted through the roof and attached to the rafters inside. I have seen biggish EME arrays (4 x 17el) mounted in the latter fashion.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv