Icom IC-7000 Reviews

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Icom IC-7000 Reviews

Post by VK2AAH »

Hi all,

I've just put a deposit down on an IC-7000 for pick up after Xmas. I'm interested in local reviews & feedback- I've read the issues with the microphone & heat on OS forums but would like to know how locals have found them.

I'm selling my old Alinco DX70- I love the radio but I'm hoping that the DSP will prove more effective on HF noise. Comments please!

Another thing I'm curious about... why do these more compact radios lack an ALC port for use with an amplifier? The Alinco had it but I notice that I need an outboard interface with the Icom.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Re: Icom IC-7000 Reviews

Post by VK3DXE »

I've had mine for a couple of months now and have to say I'm generally pretty happy with it.

I run an LDG at-7000 auto tuner on HF and 6m. It seems to do a reasonable job of matching my pretty crappy antennas across the HF bands.

It really helps to run some rig-control software if using it in the shack. Makes it a much more enjoyable radio. I run several different apps, but mainly run Ham Radio Deluxe for logging and control. Saves having to dig through the menus too. :D

DSP noise reduction and filters are excellent. I live in an area with a high ambient noise level, so they really make a difference. Signals that are simply not copiable become Q5. Two metre performance with a decent preamp seems to be reasonable, not as good as my old IC-275H, but the DSP makes up for some of the difference. I'll see how things go once I get some decent antennas up for 2m and 70cm. Only running a little 6el on 2m at the moment, but pretty happy with results considering. 2m weak signal has always been my band of choice, so this summer should give me some indication of the real abilities of this radio.

Heat: I was initially concerned about the heat, especially while watching the temp gauge climb, but so far so good. I plan to run an external fan on the side of the radio when the weather really hots up and see what difference that makes. Reports I've read indicate that people have been reversing the "fan mod" after initially doing it.

On HF, there is a bit of a tendency to suffer from RF feedback with certain antenna configurations, but it's certainly better than a lot of other HF boxes I ran in the past. (I had a couple of Yaesu's that I couldn't even operate on 10m because of RF issues). I remember reading somewhere that the standard mic is part of the problem here with the IC-7000. Down the track I may try a different mic and see if there's any improvement.

Interfacing can be a bit of a PITA. When I get some time, I'll eventually sort out amplifier/preamp switching, control and digital mode interfaces and switching.

Cheers,
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

I have been using my IC-7000 for a few weeks and like it ! Here's a few thoughts but I will need to expand on this as brain function waxes/wanes...

The 7000 makes the (replaced) YAESU FT-857D look a bit sick in a few ways. I know little-do-it-all boxes are bound to compromise, but this radio is bloody good !

On 160m AM the DSP NR can make an otherwise unreadable signal quite audible. This DSP NR is quite a bit better than the already good stuff in my IC-746.

The (standard fitment ?) OCXO puts the 7000 on frequency on 70cm...

The auto notch filter works but not as well as the excellent twin manual notch filters.

The FM squelch is rubbish, but I am going to fix it ... later. The mute can't be set fine without yucky chunks of intermittent noise -
if the mute is set on harder to stop this you (I !) miss anything under an S2 all-but-noise-free signal.

It runs hot and I expect electrolytic capacitor problems eventually (how can anyone put a 6 year warranty on this radio ?)..

More, later when brain function changes/occurs/returns . :D
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Thanks guys... you have sold me! I just have to satisfy myself that the interface to the Ameritron amplifier is reliable (Les at ARTC has quoted me about $50) and I'll be over to pick it up (the first opportunity that the wife isn't watching me...).

I've read reports about very ordinary microphone audio. Any comments? There is a fix available from the US for about $30 so that isn't a show stopper anyway.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

I wouldn't put too much credence on the bad audio reports. The rig has provision to change the upper and lower cut off points and they may not have been set right for the particular individuals voices.
I had one on loan for a few days and I was quite impressed after I got out the handbook and learned how to drive it.

David
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Thanks all... got it last week & I love it. First advice on air received from another happy owner was "Read the Manual, then when you think you have read it- read it again". In the same contact the operator swapped between the standard Icom mike (which sounded OK) to a Heil headset- the improvement was staggering. The Heil sounded superb.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

vk2aah wrote: in part said ........

I've read reports about very ordinary microphone audio. Any comments? There is a fix available from the US for about $30 so that isn't a show stopper anyway.
When I got mine, it came with a HM-151 mic. People told me that my audio sounded soft & flat. I separated the two halves of the mic, then elongated the hole you talk into to 3 or 4 times its original length.. It is hidden in the indentation alongside the led and if you elongate it, and not just make it a big round hole, it looks original. I also found that the mic insert was sitting inside a soft silicon or rubber cup with the "talk into" end of the insert completely covered by this cup. I used a leather hole punch to put a hole in the cup so that my voice now go's directly in to the insert and is not blocked by the cup. All reports since then have been favourable.
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Just a follow up on heat:

I have run a few rather long JT65 sessions now, including a partial EME contact with my stock 50 watts and a crappy little 6 element yagi.

The temp guage climbs to just below the "HOT!" level, but all seems to be OK. Recieve performance is excellent for such an all-in-one box. Have copied a couple of stations off the moon now on 2m with the little yagi and a reasonable preamp.

I think I'll keep it :wink:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4BLK
Forum Novice

Post by VK4BLK »

The AB4N Mic. Mod. is well worth the trouble but you need a steady hand
IZ2BKT has an excellent CAT PROG.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Hi guys,

I've just tested the locally produced amplifier interface sold by Andrews & it works a treat. No feedback problems detected with the amp running at 400W.

I received the CAT cable today from Hong Kong ($20 delivered) so will test that tonight.

The receiver is impressive- try this for a test. Set the receiver to a nearby AM high power broadcaster (I used 2GB on 873kHz). Try listening to a station on an adjacent channel (+- 9kHz). No radio I've ever owned could do that, but the IC7000 could. I'd say that is impressive.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

I have had my IC-7000 now for a couple of months and have used it on 6m to good effect.

Using an ICOM SM-8 desk microphone gives me good audio reports but this requires the purchase/manufacture of an adaptor lead to convert the ICOM-standard 8-pin plug to the modular microphone socket on the 7000.

On 160m AM the 7000 with DSP Noise Reduction can make a noisy difficult-copy signal readable as Q5....... this amazed me a bit. It is an excellent receiver in this regard.

Now the bad bit....on 144MHz WSPR the IC-7000 drifts too much for reliable use ! A drift of 17Hz is copied by some stations...sometimes, I have tried the 7000 at various power levels barefoot, and at just 1 or 2 Watts driving an outboard amplifier - nothing fixes/changes this drift, but ambient temperature does change the degree of drift (more study needed on this). It is possible that I have managed to buy the roughie 7000....

I believe the 7000 has a TCXO fitted from the factory but the rig still drifts. This is not the case when using my IC-746 (also with TCXO). SSB performance with the outboard 200W amplifier into my new 13el YU7EF Yagi on 4WL boom has been outstanding for many tropo DX contacts.

On AM shortwave and broadcast band the 7000 works and sounds very well, but my recent purchase of an IC-7600 puts the 7000 back a to second place with its far superior DSP and receiver.

IMPORTANT NOTE - if you use the Accessory Socket Pin 7 for the PTT control of an external VHF/UHF amplifier this Pin 7 will only toggle if you use the front panel microphone socket. For some odd reason Pin 7 does not toggle (to ground) with PTT when using the rear panel microphone socket....odd !
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Wayne, what interface are you using for WSJT and WSPR? By the sound of things, it isn't using the 13 pin acc socket? I'd be interested to see what you're running.

As for drift, mine seems to drift < 10hz on 2m when running JT65, as indicated by reports received:

05/11 13:49 134800 2 -25 1.2 81 3 * ES6RQ VK3DXE QF22 (ES6RQ/8XP32/QRO)
05/11 13:48 134600 0 -26 1.4 86 3 * ES6RQ VK3DXE QF22 (ES6RQ/8XP32/QRO)
05/11 13:45 134400 0 -27 1.4 83 3 * ES6RQ VK3DXE QF22 see you every period (ES6RQ/8XP32/QRO)
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv