C21JH & T30JH Feb/Mar 2011?

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2XQ

C21JH & T30JH Feb/Mar 2011?

Post by VK2XQ »

Currently I am considering a trip to Western Kiribati late February or early March, maybe a chance to reactivate my old callsigns T30JH and C21JH, not used since 2000. Must loook at the new arrangements on getting to Nauru since the demise of Air Nauru, replaced with Our Airline, the costs of visas (told it costs AUD$100 for Nauru), air fares and whether it would worth lugging the IC-736 plus a five element 50MHz beam along.

The current situation on Nauru would be an important factor, last time I was there in 2000 I experienced ongoing power blackouts for hours on end, despite being told that the hotel had a back-up generator, they did, only they had no diesel to run it due to fuel shortages on the island. Many hours on six metres were lost due to this in 2000. Propagation? The majority of VK, ZL and JA ops have already worked me on Nauru and Tarawa in the past.

Not worth lugging the gear all that way just to work a handful of new operators due to limited propagation. Looking at a week on Nauru and a week on Tarawa before heading back. What I need is an accurate report on the current situation on Nauru as I have heard things not much better than when I was there in 2000. As mentioned, not worth the effort if electricity supply a problem on the island. Only reliable source on Nauru is Rubeun Kun C21RK, not sure if he is active these days, email bounced. I left a brand new five element 50MHz beam with Rubuen in 2000 for him to use on six (he has HF/50MHz txer) but he never took up the challenge despite encouragement from me.

Could also check out the C21SIX beacon and try and motivate local amateurs (very hard to do) to get it back on air and look after it?

This is just a projected plan, as the head cook and minister for social services and finances (the other half) wants to go home to India in May for up to six weeks, so finances will be an important factor.

So what do all the "DXperts" on six think? Worth the effort, chances of 50/50 for any decent propagation? As I mentioned, not real interested in going just work the same old crew over again with few new operators needing C21/T30 in the log...73 Jack VK2XQ.
VK4WDM

Re: C21JH & T30JH Feb/Mar 2011?

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Jack

I still need C21 and T30 on 6m and I am sure that there would be a lot of stations, especially those new to the band, would be keen to work you, but I don't think the propagation conditions are good enough at this time to justify you lugging the gear over there.

A trip when the SS cycle arcs up would certainly be worthwhile.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Jack, if the purpose of the trip is to activate 6m, then you may be wasting time and money in the traditional March/April timeslot.
Whilst that would be the obvious time to go during a cycle peak, we have yet to see evidence that the cycle has progressed to the point of supporting pure trans-Pacific F2.

However, trawl back 3 summers worth in the VK Logger History (you can set the search filters to be quite specific), and you will see that VK/ZL has worked 3D2, KH8, E51, A3, etc during December/January on Es.
A lot of new ground has been covered in recent years, and VKs are (slowly) realising there more opportunities during summer, outside of the mundane and predictable intra-VK and ZL bubble.

For the last two summers we see the path to South America exists (SSSP?), but only having a limited window, looking like one week either side of the summer solstice.

If radio is only a part of your trip, then that's your call as to how worthwhile that aspect of the trip is. :wink:

VU you say?
As you are probably aware, VU now has 50MHz access, again.
It would be great to motivate hams over there to get them active on 50MHz.
There may be no reason why VU cannot be worked into VK6 (at least) when the DU path is open.
Look back at how often DU7/PA0HIPO is working into VK.
This is another unexplored path, due to the lack of activity from there in the past.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2XQ

Post by VK2XQ »

Thanks Adam and Wayne for your comments, thought there would be more people interested but as I said, most of the old timers already have Nauru and Western Kiribati on six. Was told at work yesterday that all leave for the next two months has been cancelled as we have sent some of our staff to Queensland "on loan" and thus all hands will be required to man the Sydney side of things.

With the dramatic fall in DX during the last week it sadly looks like the summer DX season has come to a halt, so would be pointless in taking equipment to C21 and T30 as I am not interested in HF.

As for India, VU, well Adam, I know from past experiences dealing with Indian government departments, one has to be very patient, tread very softly, be very diplomatic and humble, expect lengthy delays, grease the odd palm or two along the way, and never lose ones cool, no matter how bad the situation. As the "boss" tells me, it pays to have contacts and good ones at that, as Indian public servants like nothing more than to give the foreigner the run-around!

Will make tenative enquires while we are in Mumbai, try and establish a basis for further work, have heard that Indian govt doesn't like giving expats/foreigners radio licences, whether that is true or not, I don't know.