HF Antenna Bridge, legal to use across 1.8-30Mhz ?

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK3ZFS

HF Antenna Bridge, legal to use across 1.8-30Mhz ?

Post by VK3ZFS »

Im curious if using my RF SigGen and HF Return Loss Bridge is it legal if I excite the bridge and antenna connected with 10dBm from the SigGen, reading comments elsewhere it might be a unauthroised RF Transmission/emmision (1.8-30Mhz) and a breach of the 1992 Radcom act ?
Frank VK3ZFS
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: HF Antenna Bridge, legal to use across 1.8-30Mhz

Post by VK3ALB »

Surely this is a wind up? :lol:
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3ZFS

Re: HF Antenna Bridge, legal to use across 1.8-30Mhz ?

Post by VK3ZFS »

No, becouse what mentioned in the Radcom 1992 act, it does not make clear a non interference level for testing antennas with a low power tramsmitter (SiGGen) its said its illegal to cause RF emmision/transmisson your not authroised in your licence class.
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Yes Frank, this would be completely illegal and illegal in fact for you to posses this set of equipment. Please send me your address so a few of us can come around and take it away for you so you don't go to jail....
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Your license defines where you can transmit and your maximum transmitter power. Radcom 92 has nothing to do with it. If you are concerned about interference then fire up your HF radio and announce your intention to carry out antenna tests before you commence testing.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3AFW
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AFW »

Frank,
The device might be considered a LIPID. If you deliberately cause interference then your actions are illegal but if inadvertent interference is caused then you will be asked to desist, if caught. Of course consequences of the interference matter. If you caused deaths then inadvertent or not you would be in trouble.

If 10 mW into the bridge causes interference outside of your immediate neighbourhood then your antenna must be working very well.

In some religions just thinking about certain things is a sin, so don't even think about deliberate interference.

Ron
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6SIX »

True story:

Way back many years ago there was a ham from Poland working in Libya as a radio tech or similar and he used a sig gen etc to work dx back to europe.

I think libya gave him a license but he could not import rigs ... or something like that, hence the sig gen. He may have had access to some type of rx i think.

From memory this may have been around 1980/81 or so.

long time ago and i am over 45 Y.O and forget things

cheers graham vk6six