Masthead preamp casing?

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK3WE
Forum Novice

Masthead preamp casing?

Post by VK3WE »

Hi All

I'm about to install my preamps up on the tower, but first I need to install them into a weather proof case.

Question 1: Can I install both the 144 and the 432 preamps into the one weather proof case? Interference?
Question 2: Should this weather proof casing be shielded and earthed or can it be PVC?

thanks for your help,
de Rhett VK3VHF
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Re: Masthead preamp casing?

Post by VK6ADF »

VK3VHF wrote:Hi All

I'm about to install my preamps up on the tower, but first I need to install them into a weather proof case.

Question 1: Can I install both the 144 and the 432 preamps into the one weather proof case? Interference?
Question 2: Should this weather proof casing be shielded and earthed or can it be PVC?

thanks for your help,
de Rhett VK3VHF

Hi Rhett...Question 2 I would simply say that commercial preamps I have seen use a plastic case of some sort...ie SSB Electronic definately, Minikits, Icom preamps from memory also use plastic cases.
Question 1, my own preference would be to keep them separate. Simply because I would be thinking that is if the preamps are inline when transmitting there would be some emissions from within and I would prefer some separation between sources...but that just me. I have seen a dual band preamp available commercially so would appear there is no technical reason why is cannot be done

73 Phil...VK6ADF