Mobile broadband - recommendations?

Computer, software discussion that does NOT fit into the above categories ^ ^ ^
VK2JDH

Re: Mobile broadband - recommendations?

Post by VK2JDH »

VK2GOM wrote:I am (or rather was) going to go with my NextG phone as a modem for the time being and see how it goes.

The first hurdle failure though is I bought the SIM card pack from amaySIM to go in the phone (a Telstra ZTE T6), and bought an unlock service for my phone online, but they have since got back to me to say my phone is a model that can't be unlocked and offered me a refund on the unlocking fee.

So looks like I have to either buy another nextG pay as you go phone and get it unlocked to use the SIM, or abandon the phone idea and go for a dedicated wireless modem.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
How long have you had the ZTE? I think after a period of time Telstra will unlock if for free or a nominal amount, unless it does not to the optus 3G frequencies 900/2100Mhz ( Telstra 850Mhz ) then there is no point.
VK3ZFS

Re: Mobile broadband - recommendations?

Post by VK3ZFS »

If you have other Telstra services on 1 bill PSTN/Foxtel/post paid mobile, you can get the Bigpond liberty account for $9.95 400Mbyte, unlimited shaped to 64Kbit, I use a service at my weekend shed for casual email/webbrowsing, VoIP, and in future will use for a HF remote radio control (32kbit ADPCM)
You be suprised how well 64Kbit shaped works.