Fun schematic

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2GOM

Fun schematic

Post by VK2GOM »

A prize for the first one to build one of these :D

BTW. the reference to the sandal might have you Australians stumped (like in the cricket - ouch!) but in the N hemisphere a Flip-Flop is what is referred to as a 'thongs' down here. A thong up there is a ladie's g-string.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3ZFS

Re: Fun schematic

Post by VK3ZFS »

The 1st rule of eletronic circuits, the circuit dies when nornally trapped smoke excapes :)
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

Gday rob , I have printed and laminated the circuit diagram and it is prominently displayed in the "shack" but I am having trouble sourcing the pi resistor (any leads)?. cheers . mark VK2AMS :D
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I'm sure a Pi resistor is just a resistor with a nominal value of 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751 Ohms, plus/minus 10% 8)

I see the Flux Capacitor is on there! I keep meaning to go into DSE on 1st April and see if I can convince a 'Techxpert' to look one up on the system for me. The 'radiocommunications techxpert' in the Penrith store didn't know what a PL259 was so I could well be successful!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi All...

Well come on, it is pretty obvious as to what it is....once the antenna picks up the signal....the Globe sends the image of the Bat onto a cloud....

Then I come running....

John
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Here's the frame of a nice timber cabinet to put it in when finished building (about 1/5 way down)

http://www.ic64.net/S/illusion.htm
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK3AIF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AIF »

I've built several circuits similar to this, even designed a couple and they all worked. I'm not sure what they did but they did it.

Just a suggestion for anyone trying to source the components as a couple is suspect will be hard to come by, is for the resistor network beneath the fishing float use a coil of galvanized barbed wire and trim for maximum spurious output. This could probably be substituted with a wet half grown echidna.

Your mileage may vary?
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

It will never work, half the diagram is missing !
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

I am not sure if Miami-Dade County will be impressed when people start digging up I-95 intersections for this...

I suspect it might cost a bit to post all that asphalt to Oz.
VK2GFR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GFR »

Rob,
There is something missing...... Where's the coffee pot?
All HAM's drink, some do coffee, some do coke (the liquid fizzy type) or tea, some even have a friend over... Mr Daniels (Jack) or Mr Walker (Johnny).
Maybe these need to be added?
Mark, VK2GFR
Seven Hills
QF56LF
VK2FRO
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FRO »

I'm just wondering what purpose the cat has in the project - is this to facilitate connection to an amateur transciever? Might build one of these and when my new FT950 arrives, hook the project up, connect the radio to a dummy load and see what it does. :)

Laughed when I saw the bottle of magic smoke.
VK3MJC

Post by VK3MJC »

VK2FRO wrote:I'm just wondering what purpose the cat has in the project
Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio, replied:

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

That's one hell of a solder blob though if the scale on the top left is to be believed.. :shock:
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

VK3FCJM wrote:
VK2FRO wrote:I'm just wondering what purpose the cat has in the project
Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio, replied:

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
And here I was thinking that the cat is a sacrificial protective component used when the circuit is mistakenly fed with AC rather than DC current. It derives from the experiments of one Thomas A Edison, who used AC to electrocute stray animals, to 'prove' the former's increased danger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents (in a similar vein note that the electric chair, using AC current, was developed by ex-Edison people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_chair )
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

every f call worth his 50 questions knows that for aussie conditions the mouse in the batulator circuit needs to be replace with a wombat and the 11kg springy think needs to be increased to compensate for the increased resistence of the wombat. You have to recall the formula for springy things and wombats in series I quite like the design especially the test point where ACMA inspectors can test for interference ( touch tongue here)

F calls may indeed build this but under no circumstances should they attemp to operate it but if you do you should use a smaller 10W electric eel

First time I have very seen a working circuit example of a Politicians brain .
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

that should be put in the foundation handbook - it makes the whole thing a lot more clearer.
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2FRO
Forum Novice

Post by VK2FRO »

To further reduce power, replace the ballast light globe with a space heater (2 bar preferable, quartz seems to inject parasitic oscillations), or an ion laser tubes filiment. Then if you like, you can ionize that tube with the 500v and have a pretty laser lightshow each time you TX (attach a mirror to the vibrator). Smart constructors will add a sawtooth generator to the circuit to make the laser show into a basic voice oscilliscope. Saftey glasses should be procured for the mouse (which I thought was a cat), the bat, the beetles, and the electric eel.

this effectively turns the unit into a QRP (quite rotten politician) rig.
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

About that vibrator........If a particular unit is required, I can supply the data. Among the collection of data books on my desk at work, displayed in a prominent position, is my copy of the Vibrator Handbook. A few of my female colleagues have remarked on it, but have declined the invitation to peruse its contents. :oops: Can't imagine why. I've owned it since my early teens and it seems pretty unremarkable to me.

As for the "touch tongue here", I think it's best left alone............

Chas
VK3PY