Chirp sounder seen on SDR!

VK2GOM

Chirp sounder seen on SDR!

Post by VK2GOM »

That was quite something... I have heard sounding chirps before from sounders as they pass through the audio passband, but to SEE the chirp progress through the band using my SDR receiver was quite impressive 8) I just happened to be looking at the screen and saw the fast-moving ramp progress through the 40m band left to right fairly quickly.

Well I guess you had to be there. The fun of SDR! 8)

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2FAK

Re: Chirp sounder seen on SDR!

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi Rob..

Did not know what it was...but I have seen a ramp moving across the passband on the waterfall...
if you want to try explain a sound (mode) listen in around 14.106.5 Olivia is around there but there is also some pulsing sort of transmission that comes on also......it starts of around 200hz Bw then expands to about 1000hz bw from memory.

John
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

I've never been a proud man, so I'll ask...

What is a chirp sounder?
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Colin - nothing that exciting really... a fast moving carrier that is swept across the bands, in sync with a fast moving (or at least tuning!) receiver at a remote location that tunes at the same rate, to build up a picture of ionospheric activity with regard to frequency. More infor here: http://www.antennex.com/prop/prop0807/prop0807.pdf

When you are listening to a regular radio, you no doubt hear the odd fast chirp as it goes through your audio passband.

On my SDR, I saw the chirp moving along 40m as a nicely defined ramp, moving quickly left to right. Quite interesting to see it in action rather than just hearing the quick chirp.

Have been listening on my SDR again this morning. Quickly becoming a convert!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
Last edited by VK2GOM on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Thanks Rob.

I get it now.