HamSphere

Computer, software discussion that does NOT fit into the above categories ^ ^ ^
VK4WDM

HamSphere

Post by VK4WDM »

Have a look at this: 'Hamsphere" http://www.hamsphere.com/?gclid=CPbVpo- ... bgodZhFy8A

I found this when I was googling for something else. According to the home page

This is a virtual Ham Radio transceiver that works in Windows, Linux, iPhone and Mac or any other Java driven system. HamSphere can be used by both licensed (Ham Radio) and unlicensed radio enthusiasts.

You are able to communicate with thousands of Amateur Radio operators and radio enthusiasts from almost 200 countries around the world. No extra hardware needed, just your PC, a microphone, speakers and your are ready to call CQ on the HamSphere bands. Both Voice (DSB) and CW (Morse code) is supported.

Transmitter virtual output is adjustable between 10 watts and 2.5 kilowatts. HamSphere covers 11 virtual Ham Bands between 160m and 6m. The system does not emit any RF so it is 100% safe to operate in any country. You can also use the built in 48m Broadcast band to create your own shortwave radio station.

Why bother with exams, licences, interference, or hassles with antennas!

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2GOM

Re: HamSphere

Post by VK2GOM »

It was OK when it was free, but I don't want to pay for it! Might as well just use Skype.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK4YEH

Post by VK4YEH »

There are a few of these around now, and they open up ham radio to those who are unable to upgrade their licences or have anything but VHF / UHF where they live. One local F-call uses one - CQ100 I think - and is able to join nets on virtual bands that he does not have access to otherwise.

Not my cup of tea, but they definitely have their place in ham radio

Tim
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

I can't help but notice that elephant sitting in the corner.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
ZL4PLM

Post by ZL4PLM »

This isnt ham radio - has nothing to do with ham radio and has a damm cheek to call itself such! :evil:

basically a glorified IPTEL solution.

I can understand IRLP/Echolink ... with one end of the conversation using a local repeater or RF link talking to a local amateur all who are licenced.

But this isnt ham radio at all - just Internet telephony.

Genuine amateurs should not be supporting it either.

elephant - too right!

Simon ZL4PLM
VK7DR

Post by VK7DR »

" This isn't ham radio - has nothing to do with ham radio... Genuine amateurs should not be supporting it either."

I couldn't agree more!
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi

I would never use this either, BUT...

If you look at the 'Total Users' list and search for those in Australia, you'll notice that there are quite a lot. A large percentage of those do not have a VKxxx call sign, so one could maybe assume these people don't have an amateur license. However, by subscribing, they obviously have an interest, to some degree, in amateur radio. Does this not represent a list of possible recruits to 'real' amateur radio? Maybe those that do use Hamsphere should be encouraging the unlicensed users to sit the exam and get a license.

My 2c worth.

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK6MB

Post by VK6MB »

VK5ZD wrote:Maybe those that do use Hamsphere should be encouraging the unlicensed users to sit the exam and get a license.
Iain
And that can only happen if licensed operators use it.
Catch 22

73 Mike
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Maybe it should be free for licensed amateurs, if that is proved to be the case? $35 (US) a year subscription is too much to essentially use Skype with user-selectable added QRM and QSB. You could build a whole HF CW QRP transciever for that!

Why not just use Skype with other like-minded individuals, and practice radio protocol for free? Plus you can even have a 'net' on Skype.

73 - Rob VK2GOM /G0MOH
VK3FKRK

Post by VK3FKRK »

i can see a value in this if you are in one of those place that dose not allow antennas yes i would prefer a radio but as next best think it would be ok
VK4SIX

Post by VK4SIX »

G'day all,

I downloaded CQ100 some time ago just too see what is all about. Whilst the user interface certainly is modelled on a transceiver look-a-like it really is just VOIP.
I had to smile when I heard one person giving another a 5/9 report Hi Hi!!

Not my cup of tea either - but to each his own.

Dale VK4DMC / VK4SIX