WSJT on IC-7600 via USB

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK4DDC
Forum Novice

WSJT on IC-7600 via USB

Post by VK4DDC »

I have everything receiving and transmitting on Ham Radio Deluxe via the USB on the IC7600 directly without any TNC etc. But on WSJT only, I can receive ok and the Transmit signal is ok but no keying of the IC7600. I can transmit if I hold down the TX button, but that is a little trying !!
The Vox will not key the Set on USB-D1, so does anyone have any suggestions on how the tx can be activated short of buying another interface. The RigExpertPlus just died, so it kind of left me in the lurch.
Regard.............Brian W. VK4DDC
VK6KXW

Re: WSJT on IC-7600 via USB

Post by VK6KXW »

If the ic-7600 is like the ic-7700 that i have, then you don't have data vox.
It has to be RS 232 or via acc 1 pin 4 ptt to key transmit on/off.
Peter
ZL4PLM

Post by ZL4PLM »

you need to set a com port as the PTT

there are two parts to the USB driver ... one is the audio codec and the other the com port for CIV control

yell if you need some help ... I have a 7600 too :)

rgds

Simon ZL4PLM
VK5LA

Post by VK5LA »

As far as I'm aware, WJST won't do PTT via CIV, like say a program like HRD.
You will need to rig up some kind of PTT via a serial port/usb-serial converter.
Or, a more elegant solution is to use something like a TigerTronics Signalink USB.
So even though the 7600 (and 7200 like I have) are USB equipped, ya still gotta come up
with a way to PTT...
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I built myself an ugly-bug style PTT switch, using the serial RTS line via a generic USB to Serial adaptor. One Jaycar 6 pin opto isolator, 1N4148 diode and a resistor fits nicely inside a 9D backshell.

Of all the radio/data software I run, it all offers Serial PTT although only some offer C-IV PTT'ing... Some software needs both for PTT and frequency setting.

Also, another tip - try and keep the assigned COM port number low. My PTT line was originally COM9 but I then realised some software was only written to accomodate COM 1 thru' COM8! After disabling my inbuilt 56k dinosaur modem in the laptop I now have COM3 conveniently available. I have absolutely no idea what COM's 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are doing but they're all tied up.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

If all else fails, take the audio output from your computer and feed it into a headphone which is taped to a microphone and use the VOX to turn the transmitter on.

David
ZL4PLM

Post by ZL4PLM »

VK5LA wrote:As far as I'm aware, WJST won't do PTT via CIV, like say a program like HRD.
You will need to rig up some kind of PTT via a serial port/usb-serial converter.
Or, a more elegant solution is to use something like a TigerTronics Signalink USB.
So even though the 7600 (and 7200 like I have) are USB equipped, ya still gotta come up
with a way to PTT...
I use a microham one on the FT736

Hmm the manual says it uses a com x where x is the number of the serial port

So it should be possible to use some thing like VSPE to drive the PTT line ....

I shall have a play ... should be no reason why the PTT line should not work off the USB with WSJT

I know it does with N1MM and that drives the radio only through a USB connection from my laptop

73 Simon ZL4PLM
VK4DDC
Forum Novice

Post by VK4DDC »

Thank you gentlemen for all the help. Nice to see a site that gives some advice and help. It seems HRD tells the PTT via the USB to close, without having to actually to designate a port, as you have to enter a number for a port in WSJT.
So I guess the answer is to know the port number and or designate a port number to key PTT. Else I will have to build a PTT via the ACC and Com port on the computer, which is a pain, as we know that it is possible to use the USB as it is done in HRD.
Many thanks......................Brian VK4DDC
ZL4PLM

Post by ZL4PLM »

Brian

I will have a further look after CQWW this weekend ... my station is pretty much ready to run and I dont want to mess that up just now.

It maybe a limitation with WSJT not being ready for modern radios .....

Perhaps a question to K1JT to ask him to look into it!

Rgds

Simon ZL4PLM
VK5ZK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZK »

It does indeed seem to be a limitation of the current version of WSJT

HRD supports PTT via the usb connection.
However, DM780, the digital mode part of HRD will not operate the 7600 PTT even when the correct com port is selected. If you link DM780 and HRD and allow HRD to manage the PTT it works fine.

It's obviously a bit tricky but PTT via the USB connection can be done. It just depends on the program.
ZL4PLM

Post by ZL4PLM »

Ive emailed Joe to see if he knows any routes round and if he is considering this option

will become more important as the IC9100 comes online
VK4DDC
Forum Novice

Post by VK4DDC »

Thanks Simon........... I also emailed Joe a little while ago and posed the question as well, so will be interested to see if something comes of it.

Regards......................Brian VK4DDC
VK4TJ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TJ »

I know you didn't want to build another interface, but how about just a part of one? I've had great success with this one that has a primitive vox built in:

http://home.comcast.net/~hteller/interface.htm

John VK4TJ
VK4DDC
Forum Novice

Post by VK4DDC »

Once again thank you one and all. Well the simplest way appears to be cheapest and easiest way. I was nearly going to buy another device after the RigExpertPlus fell over, but decided to build a RS232 Serial with PTT only. and link that to an USB to serial convertor which I just ordered from Hong Kong for the great price of $3 delivered !!
I had all the bits to build a PTT serial switch into the back of a RS232 shell, which I just finished, and the USB 2.0 to RS232 Serial comes with a CD to program what is required for drivers and also name your port number. So it all now looks easy, providing it works.
Cheers..................Brian VK4DDC