3rd Sunday uW play dates

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK2XDE
Forum Novice

Re: 3rd Sunday uW play dates

Post by VK2XDE »

Hi Rob and Jack,
Great to here you both today on 10Ghz via Matt equipment at Mt kuringai.
Rob, the video is a great way to present what can be done on 10Ghz both portable and mobile.
It would be interesting to get a run down of the equipment used on 10Ghz at your end and what Jack was using mobile.

It was a really nice day today and did lots of testing and worked the following stations.

Justin VK2CU 2403.1Mhz FM
Matt VK2DAG/P 2403.1Mhz FM
Dave VK2JDS 1296.1Mhz SSB. Dave was running 10 watts Icom 910, 3 metre dish.
I was running 10 watts, Icom 910, 45 element loop yagi, distance 180Km approx. :D :D

Could receive Justin on 5.7Ghz but no transmit from my end.

I should have 10Ghz going for next month.

Catch up again next month.

73, Steve VK2XDE
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Well done Rob and Jack.

I never cease to be amazed by what can be achieved on 10GHz. At times, a tree or a small rise can absolutely kill things. Then when you think it won't be possible (e.g. mobile in the city), the signals come through loud and clear (mostly ...). It would have been interesting to hear how SSB would go. In the past, I've had much better results using SSB over FM on lower bands with mobile stations.
VK2GOM wrote:We are thinking this 10GHz mobile QSO could be a 'first' in VK - unless anyone can advise otherwise?
There is a category in the Australian VHF-UHF Records for Mobile operation. On 10GHz, the record is currently held by Peter VK3KAI/M (AKA current AR Editor VK3PF) and Robbie VK3EK at 124.7 km.
So, there's an easy challenge!

Regards,
Dave.
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

Congrats rob and Jack ,great and very interesting contact on 10 ghz and well done on the video :D cheers mark VK2AMS
VK2TRF
Forum Novice

Post by VK2TRF »

Hi all,

great day yesterday on 3cm mobile.

I am using a Kuhne transverter and PA in one small box.
Interior 3cm Kuhne
Interior 3cm Kuhne
I have almost 5 watts output at the N connector. The IF rig is a good ol FT 290.
I am GPS locked, except when mobile as the firmware hates mobile ops so I run on the oven XTAL instead. The unit is very flexible in configuration as I can use many antennas.
Tripod mounted
Tripod mounted
I have a horn, a small gold dish of 10" diameter, a 24" dish with tripod and the slotted waveguide omni.
Slotted waveguide antenna
Slotted waveguide antenna
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

One thing I would like to add, later (after the video) we did try SSB, which worked well. However, with Jack driving around, the Doppler effect was rampant! I had to literally tune around to resolve him depending on his speed/direction.

It wasn't immediately apparent at the time that it was Doppler, but after the excitement and speaking with ZL4PLM about it, we were seeing (well, hearing) Doppler in action. Another giveaway should have been that he wasn't drifting in just one direction, sometimes up in freq, sometimes down, obviously depending on his direction relative to me. I was reading that Doppler is discernible at 70cm SSB whilst mobile, and the effects at 10GHz were very pronounced.

124-odd km sounds like a challenge eh Jack? We both know two locations in mind from where we could try and claim that one! :D

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK3PF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PF »

Rob and Jack,

Perhaps you should note that the rules do not actually require you to be mobile during the contact, only that the station at one end is capable of being operated mobile. So Jack's mobile setup fits the bill nicely.

I look forward to the record being broken - it might give me a challenge to get the gear brushed off and try to extend the distance. The existing contact was done ages ago, with a small horn mounted on the ski bar (rotatable) and about 150 mW output at the transverter, with about 1.5 m of FSJ450 in between, IIRC.

Cheers,

Peter VK3PF / VK3KAI
VK3TPR

Post by VK3TPR »

I wonder if we could get this type of casual microwave tryout day going in VK3.

i have 2.4 and 10GHz ready to go any takers for a few hours Saturday or Sunday like the VK2s are doing.

Peter VK3TPR
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Matt,

Yes, I plan to be out there on Saturday, weather permitting. Not sure yet on the site though. If Dave VK2TDN is out to play, he'll probably want his site back! :D So I might have to move to somewhere else.

As far as the 13cm ATV goes... I haven't got it in a box yet, other than test it works. I have no idea of the power output either. We tested Dave's module on his accurate power meter and it was putting out around 30mW I think it was, which isn't bad considering they are advertised as 8mW. I know there are a lot of versions of this Comtech module, so I might have an 8mW version after all. However, I can cobble it together on a piece of plywood or similar, and get the dish on a tripod and give it a go. Assuming I have 8mW to my gridpack, it might be a tough challenge but you never know!

I will try and find myself a path that is LOS from you. I will find the charger to charge up my video camera!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2GG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GG »

Hi guys,
probably not quite ready for anything except 10ghz tomorrow.
Next week end I hope to have at least one 24ghz Rx system working!! I would like to try out a site which might access to the north (ie Castle Hill Rd).
Sooo maybe I'll leave it till next Saturday. Not sure yet. Where are others going??
Dan
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Weather looking a little questionable at the moment for Saturday at my planned location. Weatherzone forecast says snow!! Along with up to 40km/h winds, which is the real show-stopper with microwave dishes. Looks like it will be a last-minute judgement call on go/nogo :(

Sydney in general doesn't look too promising either: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weath ... utostart=1

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

hey Dan

weather permitting, Jack and I are gonna do 10 and 24 gig across wstrn sydney from
top ryde to sugarloaf rdg

no snow in forecast, only lots of wind. had a 107k blast ~ 1 hr ago !!
He and I will decide ~ 11 am if we have a go or not for a 1 pm onsite start

cheers
Dave
VK2GG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GG »

Hey Dave,
good luck on the path for 24.
Think I'll wait for next week. Had a "blow over" of a dish + 24ghz gear this week - much damage inc Jaycar power supply and possibly one Thales unit!
Hopefully be on 24 for next Sat. 5.7, who knows??
cheers,
Dan
VK2TDN

Post by VK2TDN »

VK2GG wrote:Hey Dave,
good luck on the path for 24.
Think I'll wait for next week. Had a "blow over" of a dish + 24ghz gear this week - much damage inc Jaycar power supply and possibly one Thales unit!
Hopefully be on 24 for next Sat. 5.7, who knows??
cheers,
Dan
we live in hope so wanting to get that first 5.7gig QSO :)

cheers
Dave
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

10 ghz contact small.JPG
10 ghz contact small.JPG (21.47 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
Gday all , made my first 10ghz contact on saturday with Neil vk2ei from north brother lookout at north haven to port maquarie aprox 30 klm, 5/9 both ways 100 mW into a offset dish, very happy.mark .VK2AMS PS the date iswrong on the camera.oops!
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Mark,

Is that by any chance one of the smaller 45cm offset dishes, or is it a full size 65cm? Hard to tell... I noted the guy who I bought my 65cm dish off also sells a 45cm dish kit which would be a good one for <100km type work, and less prone to being a wind sail.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

Gday Rob it is a 65cm dish it was just the photo angle there was a group of bikers up there and they got me to take there photo so returned the favour
10 ghz inside transverter.JPG
heres the inards of the transverter, not pretty but it works I am using a G3WDG pll set at 2556 mhz with a pickaxe chip then multiplied to 10.224 with a minikits multiplier , using 2 modified lnb's one for rx preamp the other as a pre driver for tx and a couple of 12 ghz mixers of ebay and a splitter from the same place, and a mimikits sequencer to organize the rabble. cheers . mark VK2AMS