70CM ATV into VK5

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3ATS

70CM ATV into VK5

Post by VK3ATS »

My station is equiped for 70cm am and 23cm ATV, is there anyone interasted in having a go at an interstate contact when the band is open?.I am retired and are able to operate at all times of the day.
VK5ZPG

Post by VK5ZPG »

Hi Terry,

I live at Quorn, PF97aq - 40 km north of Port Augusta with a reasonable take-off to VK3. I do have some very old 70cm ATV gear here, built from a VK3 kit about 16 or so years ago. It's been a while since I fired it up and it was used with a very old vidicon type colour camera, long since dead and buried. However, have 'aux' video input feeds, along with aux audio, so should be able to do something. It only runs around 10 to 15 watts but I do have a 27 element 70 cm ATN horizontal beam.
However, it's still firmly on the ground but a 'new' tower arrived a couple of days ago (it's now June 2006!), an old freelite tower in pieces which will take me a while to get up - when I do it's my intenion to get my V/UHF beams, up to 1296 (two phased loop yagis) up on this skyhook with a rotating sytem and hopefully some low-loss coax feed all round.

If you do see this posting, would you care to drop me a line at pwhellum@bigpond.com or phone (08) 8648 6504 - I too am retired but work from home - but in my home office which doubles as my shack.

Could be interesting as I regularly work VK5UBC at Gawler on 70cm using a circular polarised yagi designed for satellite work. I'd certainly like to give it a go.

Peter Whellum
VK5ZPG
24 June 2006
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

Well, it's not going to be likely from my QTH in Sydney but I can thump out 100W in that direction and I have low noise preamps and high gain.
So if the band does open up, I can take advantage of it.

I noted some extraordinary 70cm DX on FM a couple of months ago. When those conditions present themselves again in the future, (they are very easily defined) I'm confident that it would have a chance.