Broadband sharing

Computer, software discussion that does NOT fit into the above categories ^ ^ ^
VK4WDM

Broadband sharing

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi All

This might be a nerdy question but I will wear that. We have a broadband connection coming into the study at one end of house. At the other end of the house is a separate garage and on the other side of the garage, and seprate from it, is my shack.

I would like to have access to the internet in my shack so I could view this logger without having to dart inside all the time.

Our ISP (don't think I can say the name here but it is the big one that frogs and fish like!) has a device that allows the net to be sent to other computers around the house (WiFi I suppose).

My question is: would this device work out in my shack? Can a WiFi link be set up between the study and the shack? If not, what alternatives are there?

My shack computer is a WiFi capable laptop.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3LDR
Frequent Poster

Re: Broadband sharing

Post by VK3LDR »

Hi Wayne,

This is relatively easy I would say. I'm not up to speed with the latest wireless network standards as they keep enhancing them all the time, more antennas, different bands and thus more speed & more range etc. etc.

Anyhow, regardless of how your Internet is supplied (DSL / Cable) you can simply buy a broadband router with WiFi access-point built in to plug into your broadband connection. It might require some basic configuration but this should then solve your problem. The range of the WiFi router will be important to you depending on your distance from the device, so ensure you choose carefully to ensure an appropriate device is selected that will provide sufficent range for WiFi connectivity to your laptop.

Checkout http://www.ozcableguy.com/ for information on exactly this topic.

My only recommendation is that if you purchase and use a WiFi access point enabled router, then ensure you configure security on the wireless settings and use something like WPA-PSK, not juse WEP.
:wink:

Just be weary that these basic network switches / routers available cause birdies on HF frequencies. These can be reduced/eliminated by locking the speed of the network ports down to 10Mbit from 100Mbit if the device allows you to. All though, if your router is far enough away and you use wireless to get to it from the laptop then you might be spared the birdies!

Good luck,
Dave
:mrgreen:
...It is not the class of licence held by a radio amateur but the class of the radio amateur...
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Wayne

Simple to do, yes. I had a similar system for my astronomical observatory back in the UK. I used a Netgear router in the house, and my laptop simply picked up the signal 100ft away down the garden to connect to the net. I also used it from inside the house running UltraVNC to control all the astro gear outside that was connected to the laptop, from the comfort of the house.

If you get a Netgear router, it comes with an installation wizard CD - just run it, give it the details like your logon, password etc. then you're basically ready to go. The PC it's connected to should be able to connect to the net, and any remote PC (laptop, or PC with wireless card) should see the WiFi signal and be able to connect to the same net connection.

I keep pushing Netgear, but IMHO they are the best. I've tried many other routers and had all sorts of problems and lock-ups.

73 - Rob VK2GOM
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

I have a Netgear DG834G v4 ADSL modem/wireless router/switch... and it's a great all-in-one box!

I had to modify this v4 box to change from a non-removable antenna, to a removable type, something the older v2 one did out of the box.
One can only assume that the manufacturer is saving a few cents here and there by not fitting the reverse SMA connector on the rear.
(The PCB inside still accepts the R/A SMA connector).
Now, I have a higher gain vertical plugged into it for better coverage.

Anyway, if you choose a unit that has a removable antenna, you can easily plug in a higher gain antenna, such as a small yagi to guarantee coverage at your shack.
Depending on distance, and how many obstructions lie between the modem and shack (both internal and external walls, etc) the wifi coverage with a standard antenna may be extremely poor.

Of course, the beauty of wifi is not having to run cables, but if this is an easy thing for you to do, then you could always run some cat5 cable out to your shack instead. Ya can't beat a bit of copper! :wink:

:D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

Hi Wayne

I have a Netgear DG834G v2 Wireless Modem/Router with an external vertical antenna on it and that is sufficient for reliable wireless ADSL connections all around my unit. But, as stated previously, you must employ the highest security available.
I just sold a Netgear Wireless router on eBay very cheaply. It was just what was needed in this case for the line end. There are quite often used wireless ADSL bits for sale on eBay.

I have also bought some wireless bits and pieces even cheaper at 'garage sales' on a Saturday morning. Its amazing what people dispose of at garage sales.

73 Bruce VK2EM
vk3six

Post by vk3six »

Two guys in Nappa Valley went 75KM with one of them boxes.
We get from airport to my house with over 15KM two back to back yagis on a VPN.

I use a single Netgear NB9 and no switches or whatever and my 6M spectrum is relatively clean unless I beam over the house.

And as I keep telling people when the real weak signal F2 dx comes in and we stop all this messing around, the PC goes off to make weak signal working a reality.

I see a few unsecure networks pop up on my outside antenna but I would not attempt to hack them as its a federal offense.
I/We practice the highest security
Passwords and WEP encryption at 64 bit.
Why would you not do otherwise in a world of thieves con-men and blaggards? :?:
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

It might be appropriate to point out that there is a legal EIRP limit on this equipment and hanging high gain antennas on it is not kosher unless you reduce the transmitter power to stay within the 4 watts EIRP limit.

That being said, I run a legal 2Ghz system here to the base which is about 5 km away, with minimal interference on 6M and 2M.

David
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

vk3six wrote: ... I/We practice the highest security - Passwords and WEP encryption at 64 bit ...
64-bit WEP is the weakest level of security for WiFi (apart from no security - the out-of-the-box default for many systems :shock: ). It takes under a minute to crack using reaily available tools.

WPA2 is the way to go if you want real security. Throw in MAC Address filtering too. And while you're at it, change the default SSID and disable SSID broadcast.

Regards,
Dave
vk1da
Forum Diehard

Post by vk1da »

Also change the password for "admin" and disable remote login.

Reason: the factory settings for most routers seem to have either a blank password for the admin user, or a password = admin. Plus remote login is the default on many. This would enable me to log in to your router from anywhere in the world and "play around" and I don't mean golf.
Andrew Davis VK1DA Canberra, VK2UH Yass
http://vkfaq.ampr.org
http://vk1da.net
http://vk9na.com
VK5AJL

Post by VK5AJL »

Radio networks of any kind are insecure. I am not dishonest enough to make use of the fact that I could log on to any of half a dozen of my neighbours nearby. Of course, most of them don't know how to change the password from "admin". I have an ethernet cable from the shack (truck) to the house 30 metres long. It works fine. Provided you use decent cable. The computer connected directly to the net is a very low power one. On standby (esp monitor off) it uses very little power. The other three computers in the house share the internet with this one.

Has there been a PC released in the last dozen years that hasn't got an ethernet plug?