Logging software for Summer Field Day?

VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Logging software for Summer Field Day?

Post by VK4GHZ »

Hi all

Does anyone know of alternative logging software suitable for the Summer Field Day?

VKCL (VK Contest Logger) has a serious flaw, that does not allow for blocks of sent serial number amongst multi-operators.
The author was contacted about this two days ago, but no reply has been received yet, not even an acknowledgment.
Time is of the essence, so that the log gets in before the cutoff date.

Our scenario:
2 x operators.
2 x radios/antennas

We allocated operator #1 serials sent # 1-99
We allocated operator #2 serials sent #100 onwards

We both logged on paper in the field.

Now back home, entering the contacts into VKCL.
I have just entered the QSOs for op #1
Starts at #001 and finished at #096

(So starting Op #2 at 100 was a good estimate)

However.
I cannot begin entering the QSOs for Op #2 from serial #100 onwards.
It wants to carry on immediately after the last allocated sent serial (ie; at #097), and it will not accept the earlier time from when Op#2 commenced operating anyway.

Having spent over an hour already retrospectively entering this stuff in, I find I have hit a brick wall.
This is a serious limitation. :evil:
Being able to over-ride sent serial, especially in post-contest entry mode, should be mandatory.
And the time should be able to accept any time.

The Multi-Op box was not checked in the configuration, as this adopts the behaviour of allocating different serial number streams on a band-by-band basis.
We do not operate like that, because either operator can operate on any band, and this numbering scheme would not work anyway.

I was thinking of exporting the ADIF into a real logging programme like VQLog, adding the extra QSOs, then try to export back to VKCL for scoring purposes.
That is a lot of mucking around however.

Ideas anyone?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Re: Logging software for Summer Field Day?

Post by VK4TS »

Adam,

As a quick rough fix enter a duplicate contact four times to take you up to 100 should work ie it wont score the extras and it should keep everything else in line...
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Hi Trent

Thanks for idea, but irrespective of the sent serial, it won't accept an earlier time.
(As I go back in time, to start entering the contacts made by Op #2)
Even in post-contest entry mode.

VKCL is quite clunky. :cry:

IMO, everything should be over-rideable (is that a word? !!!) in post-contest entry mode.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

OK you need to enter them as two separate databases and then merge the two ... checkout VKCL multi op support...otherwise export the lot over to an excel spreadsheet in ADIF format and edit to your hearts content...you also need to add the tag (column) for the nominated transmitter from memory its just a 1 or a zero in a two transmitter setup for Cabrillo format

Yep I agree pain in the bum... :oops:

Any more grief I can run it up for you but I am sure you will work it out...

The other alternative is to run the log in N1MM in ARRL FD mode with Dupes switched off then export out to ADIF and then back into VKCL for correct Aussie scoring but i reckon I could get shot for suggesting that one ... :lol:
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

I hope the VKCL author will be able to address this issue in the next few days.
It would be nice to get a "yep got your email, will have a think about it" type reply at least.

I didn't get a positive response at all months ago, in regards to proper networked multi-operator abilities. :(
It fell into the too-hard category.

Hopefully this issue can be addressed though.

IMO, a logging app that tries to accommodate too many contests will always be a compromise, so maybe a dedicated VK Field Day Logging app is required?
This might be the catalyst to finally learn Visual Basic, and write a Field Day logging app myself. :mrgreen:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

VK3UH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3UH »

Adam, next time use odd serial numbers for op #1, and evens for op #2. :lol: :lol:
Regards,
Ken
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Had a response back from Mike, VK3AVV, author of VKCL.
Basically, tough titties!
He wasn't willing to acknowledge there are limitations with the sent numbering.

As I raised with him, what if an operator accidentally skips a sent serial whilst paper logging?
There is no way for VKCL to skip a missed sent number (or however many) so that the electronic log is an accurate reflection of a paper log.

It was a disappointing reply, when you take into account;
VKCL web page wrote:VKCL can probably still be "improved" based on actual use in the contests, particularly under field conditions. If you do use VKCL for any of the above contests, please let me know how it performed, whether anything broke or was missing or should be added, and what should be done differently and/or improved. If you have any queries about the operations of VKCL, please use the link below.
One would get the feeling there isn't any genuine desire to add or improve anything. :(

So back to the original question, is there another logging application out there that can be used directly for our VHF Field Day contests, without the mucking around?

If not, I think there is a need for a new dedicated, yet versatile, logging app purely for these Field Days.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

VK2JH

Post by VK2JH »

Hi Adam,

Last year we ran multi op for the field days and we kept paper logs. We all started with #001 for each band, with the idea that they would be entered ok into the VKCL program after the event. I entered one log then tried another band's log, hoping to fit it in between other band entires..... big problem. In the end, I entered the second and third band's logs with incorrect dates, that is, the following days. The program took this nicely. Then, I edited the incorrect dates to the correct ones and it worked, with the contacts all fitting in between each other, with their separate numbers. Cumbersome, yes, but, it did work. :idea: :idea:

When I contacted Mike re this problem, he was surprised as to using the paper method and entering afterwards. He said that the intention of the program was for multi operators to each have a laptop on site and that they be networked together. This apparently would then solve the problem. I did not and have not tried this, as I have been running as a single op, multi band since and using a single laptop.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

John
VK2JH
QF58kr
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK2JH wrote:...He said that the intention of the program was for multi operators to each have a laptop on site and that they be networked together. This apparently would then solve the problem. I did not and have not tried this, as I have been running as a single op, multi band since and using a single laptop.
Hi John
Don't bother trying to use VKCL in a network, that is seriously flawed as well.
Once you try to use it like that, you will understand.
It's the reason our multi-op station logged on paper this Summer FD.

Funnily enough, I contacted the VKCL author about possible improvements with the networking a few months ago, and again, he wasn't the slightest bit interested.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

VK3YFL
Forum Novice

Post by VK3YFL »

The issue I've contacted Mike about is how to use VKCL for both the Summer Field day and Ross Hull.

If you begin using it for Ross Hull before the Field day begins and want serial numbers to continue for the Field Day event, you can't.

You can import the Field Day log into the Ross Hull log, but as it rejects valid Field Day contacts that are invalid for Ross Hull and one of those happens to be the last Field Day contact, the Ross Hull log won't start for the next serial number you want to use but the next after the last valid Ross Hull number.

If you have operated in the field for the Field Day and then work station after returning home, a very common occurrence, you can't create a home station log as again it wants to start from serial number 001 and really you want to continue on using unique serial numbers.

I think the above issues and many of the shortcomings mention in this thread would be overcome if indeed there was a method to over-ride the serial number generator either when starting a new log to set it at an arbitrary starting point or when in post contest entry mode to advance the serial number to an arbitrary value.

It would seem a pity to have to look elsewhere for a contest logging program when it seems a solution to the shortcomings is relatively simple.

Bryon
VK3YFL
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

...and I bet at the end of the day, it's something as simple as removing a few 'protected' flags from a few fields in the coding to allow the user to over-ride the data in that field.

I notice the WIA contests page states that VK Contest Log is a "suitable logging program" for the Field Day. Best they are alerted that it's not?

73 - Rob VK2GOM / G0MOH